Gym advice for v overweight

Hi, 

Can anyone recommend a gym in Sheffield that has classes that are really good for people with a lot of weight to lose? I can't afford personal training unfortunately but could probably stretch to gym membership. I've never enjoyed the regular gym equipment but have enjoyed sport and swimming in the past. I have a lot of weight to lose but want to also be much fitter not just slimmer. I am in South Sheffield but could drive. TIA

Firehouse Fitness - two weeks free trial (and the free trial gets some personal trainer sessions(well 4 to 1). Its not easy and its not a gym bunny,mirrors and spin session posing type place.

As someone carrying surplus as well, do yourself a favour, start walking, start swimming, cut out the crap from your diet. I lost three stone in a year just by walking and changing my diet (note, NOT dieting!).

I used to be out of breath taking two flights of stairs, now I only take stairs at work (5 stories!). I aim for 7000 steps a day, which is easily achievable even with an office job and I no longer eat takeaways once a week or crisps every other night. It genuinely has been all I needed.

Going to the gym, apart from aerobic workouts, is aimed at building muscle, you won't lose weight. You will also dread going/find it difficult to find the time to go. Start with the simple! If you like swimming,try and get to the pool for an hour a week. Weight'll fly off.

I'll be starting the couch-to-5K soon, I couldn't before as my knees were suffering, but now I am at a point where I trust them to cope with regular running. I aim to lose another three stone this year and then two stone a year for the next 4. That should bring me to regular weight.

Tzijlstra is on the money here - my wife has lost over two stone in a little over a year by cutting out crap from her diet - things like biscuits and crisps - and taking more exercise - swimming three times a week and walking more. I'd never recommend a gym to anybody. Dull, tedious places populated by dull, tedious, self obsessed people. Walk at a brisk pace for half an hour a day, or whatever you can manage, go swimming a couple of times a week and cut out the rubbish from your diet. You don't need a gym.

Different strokes for different folks.

I'm like tzijlstra and Halibut -- lost more and kept it off longer by switching from car to walking 10,000 steps most days, and improving what I ate. About two stone, and off for two years now. I'm nobody's idea of fit, but my health is much better now. My GP makes me feel like a star. Gym didn't do much for me.

My partner does better in group sessions with an instructor.

Whatever works!

Dozer

True, different strokes... I have been a gym member many years ago and could never keep it up. Thinking back I felt extremely overweight and unhealthy but I was neither! The nearest gym to me is the new graves one, where I think you can payg for classes. Maybe I will try a few and see what I think. I have 3 small children so I find it hard to find the time to get out during the day, which is why I was thinking gym.. tzijlstra sounds like you are doing really well! May I pm you?