Any recommendations for Coal suppliers?

Just recently my elderly mother has been having trouble with her coal supplier, for her only source of heating, her coal fire. Her usual supplier started supplying her with coal loaded with what can only be described as stones, cannot think why they have to be there, nor what use they have???.The actual coal in the mix burns fast, gives off little heat, and leaves a lot of these stones with the ash. So we changed her supplier, and for the first delivery, she was happy with the new coal. It was longer lasting, burned nice and warm, and had none of the dreaded stones. Come her second delivery, the stone laden coal has reappeared!!!! Plus she is being charged more what is no different to her past coal delivery!!! Can anyone recommend a decent coal merchant, for delivery to the S12 area of Sheffield, without the stones please!

Wesley Nichols of Wadsley Bridge. They are just a great company. They remind me of coal merchants of my childhood - friendly, good-hearted blokes doing a good job. I'm always pleased to see their lorries driving round. I find it reassuring. They have all sorts of solid fuel and wood and will advise on whatever is best for you.

How things have changed!

Not all that long ago in the scheme of things, the South Yorkshire Coalfields were producing 33.5 million tons of high quality coal per year (over 10% of Britain's coal output) and now people are posting on the internet to find a few bags of coal that is good enough to heat a living room.

Stones mixed in with the coal is dangerous. When they get very hot they can explode as they expand, and shoot out of the fire.

20 hours ago, wookie62 said:

Just recently my elderly mother has been having trouble with her coal supplier, for her only source of heating, her coal fire. Her usual supplier started supplying her with coal loaded with what can only be described as stones, cannot think why they have to be there, nor what use they have???.The actual coal in the mix burns fast, gives off little heat, and leaves a lot of these stones with the ash. So we changed her supplier, and for the first delivery, she was happy with the new coal. It was longer lasting, burned nice and warm, and had none of the dreaded stones. Come her second delivery, the stone laden coal has reappeared!!!! Plus she is being charged more what is no different to her past coal delivery!!! Can anyone recommend a decent coal merchant, for delivery to the S12 area of Sheffield, without the stones please!

Perhaps you should take this matter further and report the first two cheaters to the trading standards department. I'm sure that is not the first time it's happened and was not a mistake.

Edited by St Petre
Add

Perhaps this is a good time to change the heating in your mothers home.

The suitability of coal as a fuel to handle for an elderly lady should be considered.

The quality of the coal sounds as if it not suitable to meet the current and new air quality rules. 

22 hours ago, Bilge said:

Wesley Nichols of Wadsley Bridge. They are just a great company. They remind me of coal merchants of my childhood - friendly, good-hearted blokes doing a good job. I'm always pleased to see their lorries driving round. I find it reassuring. They have all sorts of solid fuel and wood and will advise on whatever is best for you.

Wesley Nicolas are very expensive , 20 kg bags smokeless £10.00 the last time I asked.

A 15 mile drive saves me £25.00 on 10 bags.

I did notice a coal merchants by the side of Ponsfords recently which is nearer for you, but have no details.

Edited by mickyboy

I use a place at Brimmington chesterfield £6 for 20kg of smokeless

Wilkinson fuels used to deliver my smokeless fuel when I had an open fire. Can't praise them enough, very reliable, very friendly and competitive prices.

Are there still areas in Sheffield allowed to burn coal, thought it was smokeless and coal merchants not allowed to deliver or sell into those areas

Your right Sheffield is a smokeless area,but nearly all man made fuels ( briquettes) ovals as some people call them are smokeless.