sheffield canal 200 years old

[I can't find a better thread for canal basin stuff, please move if needed]

I had a wander round the canal basin area yesterday. The last time I did this was 5 or 6 years ago. I'm always hopeful there will be something worth visiting down there. Unfortunately there still isn't much and it looks neglected and run down. But there are at least hopeful signs now. Maybe Hilton moving out could be an overall positive and allow space for other developments. 

The 'grey to green' developments linking it to the centre of town and generally smartening up the area look like they will be great and make a big difference. But what it really needs is a good reason for people to visit. The Dorothy Pax bar looked empty and not very inviting. There is a bacon and egg sandwich type cafe. And that's it. In one of the nice old buildings there is something called Ovo which from its signage and lighting looked like it might be a bar or restaurant, but it seems to be work spaces or something.  Ah well, I'll trudge back up to town then. So there's still no reason for me to visit the area.

The riverside seems to be slowly becoming more of a feature. We can do much more with this area. It is happening but so painfully slowly. We desperately need some investment down that end of town. Well paid jobs in new office blocks would kickstart it. I'm sure it will happen one day, I hope I live to see it.

I went to Marsden last weekend where the Standedge canal tunnel is . They have a fantastic visitor centre and cafe with barge rides in the tunnel.  A great model to emulate.

The cafe by the canal basin serves good all day breakfasts but otherwise it was all but deserted when we walked through yesterday.

Since I last walked from there to Meadowhall a lot of the path has been greatly improved,  and work is in progress. Still too much litter and graffiti though.