sheffield canal 200 years old

Today there is a big celebration at the canal quayside base with 20 boats coming in with a band at 1:30 PM.

All day further entertaining activities going on till tonight with a silent disco later on. 

It is to celebrate the 200 year Bday of the Sheffield canal. 

Have always liked a relaxing walk by the canal any time of year, it will be fun to see the party there today for a change.

Busy day in Sheffield, and we are having great weather for it all.

Edited by dutch

A huge crowd down there at 1.30 when  I rode down. Quite a day in Sheffield. Back tonight for more celebrations 

I remember a few years back, think it was 1991 there was a very large celebration for some reason and dozens of boats from all over the country. We parked near the arena and walked along the towpath towards town and it was lined with narrow boats, also there was a large boat came down, I think it was from Hull it must have been about the maximum size that could go on the Sheffield section. I remember hearing one couple on a narrow boat talking to someone saying it had taken them 6 weeks to get here from Southampton I think it was.

Been there today. Really pleasant. Hard to estimate how many people were there (but alot) as both sides of the towpath were rammed. Nice pint of cider for me and a G&T for other half at the Dorothy Pax.  Had to queue about 15 mins for it though - they deserve a good profitable day.

Loved watching the first boat with the band playing full monty songs 

Many people were there all along the towpath and at the quays. 

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

What time is it expected to go on 'til?

11 pm

I’d have liked to have gone to this, but didn’t know about it until too late.

I wonder if anyone involved in the event had tried to get the BBC interested, as they were already in town for the fly past.

52 minutes ago, Eater Sundae said:

I’d have liked to have gone to this, but didn’t know about it until too late.

I wonder if anyone involved in the event had tried to get the BBC interested, as they were already in town for the fly past.

It was on Look North.

About 15 years ago they use to have a jazz boat going down there and you could hire it for private parties which I did once and we had a great time.

I can't  remember the name of the boat but there was a bar on board and I think they sold small snacks, great fun as we sailed down river. I wonder if they still do it?