Building a new PC

4 hours ago, zach said:

I have a Samsung 970 evo (NVMe) in mine.

Ditto. Was a bit of a problem at first as although it was not showing up in the bios it showed up when installing Win 10.

3 hours ago, apelike said:

Ditto. Was a bit of a problem at first as although it was not showing up in the bios it showed up when installing Win 10.

That's normal, It's because they are effectively PCIe and not SATA, so they aren't detected under the standard "SATA" initialisation 

When I first put mine in it showed nothing at POST, but was there and works fine so, no complaints from me :)

Edited by Ghozer

Strange... Mine showed up first time. That was on an AM4 X370 (Gigabyte)

I'd always put it down to secure boot if drives didn't show up on the newer boards. Main thing is, we all got it working ;)

I see there's a 1TB Intel NVMe M.2 that's just pushing the £100 mark. I doubt it's the best on the market but I like the way SSD prices are going.

.... "NVME SSDs do not appear within the BIOS until Windows creates the system partition with the EFI Boot Sector. Your M.2 SSD contains UEFI driver information within the firmware.  By disabling the CSM module Windows 10 will read and utilize the M.2-specific UEFI driver during installation." 

If it's showing in BIOS you don't have Fast Boot enabled, and it may not running at it's full potential, or you have it set to Legacy (or similar) - i'd double check stuff :) You could have CSM enabled, or not using UEFI or something... not sure, each manuf's board could do things differently.

It's been a while since I did this one but fairly sure I was booting from a RAID card initially. So it will most likely have CSM on, Fastboot off and Legacy enabled. It's way past my usual reinstall time and I don't use the RAID card in this PC any more. Might be time to give it a once over!

Thank you everyone for all your help with this. As recommended Ill be going for the EVO 970 Nvme for my boot drive. Stick a couple of 2TB mechanical drives in for storage and the rest then at some point jump from the Ryzen 5 to 7 but thats for in the future.

As its so long since I built a pc im unfamiliar with some of the settings and stuff that Ghozer pointed out so if I run into trouble would It be ok to jump back on here for a little more help from you guys?

Cheers everyone. :)