Building a new PC

@K1Machine, I can't say I've ever had keyboard/mouse issues on the AM4 platform. I don't use Win 7 though. Is it a standard keyboard or one of these gaming types?

@tzijlstra, I eventually bought the RTX2080Ti. I'm the first to agree that they are silly money but a great card. I'm probably the worst player on FPS games but I did try BFV to see what all the fuss was about on the new GPU. I was comparing it to my GTX1080 and while it's only "eye candy" the extra detail is very good, and getting better. Is it worth the four figure price tag? I think that's down to each person to decide.

I'll have to have a nosey at the 2080 when I bring you this CPU back round zach (I will get it back to you  :)) - I'd love a 2080 (hell, even a 1080 haha!) but my 1070 will do for now :)

9 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

I'll have to have a nosey at the 2080 when I bring you this CPU back round zach (I will get it back to you  :)) - I'd love a 2080 (hell, even a 1080 haha!) but my 1070 will do for now :)

No problem mate, you're welcome round anytime ;)

4 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

For anybody interested in this topic in the near future: AMD Ryzen is by far the best value for money chip going at the moment. As Zach pointed out - don't go for the X versions (unless you are a whizzkid overclocker with watercooling).

In terms of graphics cards things are very murky at the moment. I've been looking to upgrade from a GTX1060 but genuinely see no point as the market is all over the place now.

I have the same CPU as K1 a Ryzen 1600 and it is working @ 2693mhz on my rig using a 37X multiplier in the bios, it was running @ 3500mhz before but a new bios update has allowed it to go higher. Perfectly stable and the average temp under load while playing farcry 5 was 62C , not water-cooled but with a chunky Voodoo Venom cooler. As its my birthday soon I treated myself to a EVGA RTX 2070 for £460 :) from Scan and as I sold my 1070 for £250 it wasn't much of a drain its also very quiet even under load and maxed out the temp hits no higher than 62C.

PS zach.

New drivers came out yesterday and seem to make a big difference to the RTX stuff and framerates.

Edited by apelike

31 minutes ago, apelike said:

PS zach.

New drivers came out yesterday and seem to make a big difference to the RTX stuff and framerates.

Cheers mate, just grabbed it.

4 hours ago, zach said:

@K1Machine, I can't say I've ever had keyboard/mouse issues on the AM4 platform. I don't use Win 7 though. Is it a standard keyboard or one of these gaming types?

@tzijlstra, I eventually bought the RTX2080Ti. I'm the first to agree that they are silly money but a great card. I'm probably the worst player on FPS games but I did try BFV to see what all the fuss was about on the new GPU. I was comparing it to my GTX1080 and while it's only "eye candy" the extra detail is very good, and getting better. Is it worth the four figure price tag? I think that's down to each person to decide.

I only play strategy games (HOI IV, Prison Architect, Dwarf Fortress) and sims (Farming Sim 19, FM2019) these days so not worth it for me, but if I did still play FPS I'd be tempted as well. Instead I am going to pause my PC project (I actually packed it away for now) and carry on saving up for a new iMac (Pro?) that is rumoured to come out in September. 

3 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

I only play strategy games (HOI IV, Prison Architect, Dwarf Fortress) and sims (Farming Sim 19, FM2019) these days so not worth it for me, but if I did still play FPS I'd be tempted as well. Instead I am going to pause my PC project (I actually packed it away for now) and carry on saving up for a new iMac (Pro?) that is rumoured to come out in September. 

Makes sense.

Has there been any info on the new iMac hardware wise?

3 hours ago, zach said:

Makes sense.

Has there been any info on the new iMac hardware wise?

Yeah, some leaks - a new Mac Pro (modular) and a new iMac Pro (non-modular) are supposed to come out this year, we'll see!

15 hours ago, zach said:

I gave up with Win7 in the end and moved with the times. I installed 10 and problem solved.

5 hours ago, K1Machine said:

I gave up with Win7 in the end and moved with the times. I installed 10 and problem solved.

Glad you're sorted. Ask away if you have any problems.

10 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

Yeah, some leaks - a new Mac Pro (modular) and a new iMac Pro (non-modular) are supposed to come out this year, we'll see!

It will be interesting to see what hardware they go for. I'd imagine 8th/9th gen Intel on the CPU side, not sure on GPUs on the higher models. As you say... "we'll see"

21 hours ago, zach said:

Glad you're sorted. Ask away if you have any problems.

Cheers matey.

I may need to pick your brains re an M.2 SSD

Im going to see if I can see whats compatible with my mobo but apparently It can be a bit of a minefield. :)

4 hours ago, K1Machine said:

Cheers matey.

I may need to pick your brains re an M.2 SSD

Im going to see if I can see whats compatible with my mobo but apparently It can be a bit of a minefield. :)

I have a Samsung 970 evo (NVMe) in mine.

As Ghozer pointed out earlier in the thread, SSD prices are dropping so have a good look round for the offers.