Compressed OS drive in Windows 10

I have recently updated Windows 10 with the October update version 1809 to enable the RTX and DLSS features in DirectX and for some reason my OS drive now shows up as being compressed! I have not clicked on anything asking me if I wanted to and only noticed it had been compressed by using disk cleanup, so be warned that after updating to 1809 you may also experience the same. The folders also show up with 2 small blue arrows on them showing which ones are compressed and this apparently has saved me 28GB.  I am now in the process of uncompressing them all and it states it will take around 2 hours! :rant:

Why windows has suddenly decided to have drive compression like this is beyond me especially given the size of modern drives. 

I can't find anything directly similar to your situation but found post on superuser.com by someone who noticed that his document files had been compressed without him touching any settings. Other posts point to the fact that Windows 10 will compress files if it does not have the necessary space to install the update. It's reminded me of a quote by a GNU/Linux user from quite a few years ago - as the user of GNU/Linux they knew exactly what was happening to their system - unlike Windows, and even more so now that M$ control the horizontal and the vertical and everything else in between!

From reading up the 1809 update has suffered several problems since its first rollout as files mysteriously went missing and it was withdrawn once. As for space I still have 231GB left.. 

Pity I cant just download the new DirX with RTX and DLSS support.