A new small political party

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Wouldn't that just be a re-run of the 1980's when the SDP (gang of four = a few others,) joined up with the Liberals to form the Liberal Democrats?

That didn't end well did it, still, if they want political obscurity. .  .

I don't think they particularly care about obscurity. They sounded totally <removed> off.

Edited by nikki-red

I'd rather the lib dems or greens doing better

Edited by melthebell

4 hours ago, El Cid said:

The gang of 7 is now a gang of 11.

Do we support a new small party, should we have an electoral system that allows them to flourish?

A gang of 11 and 8 Liberal Democrats, they may well form one larger party.

Are there any implications for Brexit, Corbyn or May?

A small party needs a leader and policies, the Liberal Democrats already have both. A re-branded Liberal Tory/Lab party is the way forward?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47306022

Which three of the Lib Dems have you written off?

20 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Wouldn't that just be a re-run of the 1980's when the SDP (gang of four = a few others,) joined up with the Liberals to form the Liberal Democrats?

That didn't end well did it, still, if they want political obscurity. .  .

Polly Toynbee who was a high profile defector from Labour to the SDP in the 1980s says there are big differences between the situation that led to the creation of the SDP and the situation that there is now.

Her article is worth a read : https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/18/labour-schism-sdp-brexit-seven-mps

30 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Polly Toynbee who was a high profile defector from Labour to the SDP in the 1980s says there are big differences between the situation that led to the creation of the SDP and the situation that there is now.

Her article is worth a read : https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/18/labour-schism-sdp-brexit-seven-mps

High profile? What was her profile at the time?

Corbin came close to winning the 2017 election for the exact reason I stated, lesser of two evils.

14 minutes ago, Treeman893 said:

Corbin came close to winning the 2017 election for the exact reason I stated, lesser of two evils.

Really?

Labour started that campaign 10-15 points behind the Tories and gradually clawed that back to level pegging on the day of the election. If the election had been a week later, Labour would have had a 2-3 point lead and would have almost certainly had a working majority.

4 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Really?

Labour started that campaign 10-15 points behind the Tories and gradually clawed that back to level pegging on the day of the election. If the election had been a week later, Labour would have had a 2-3 point lead and would have almost certainly had a working majority.

Imagine if the election had been six months later. Labour would have had 100%! /s

23 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Imagine if the election had been six months later. Labour would have had 100%! /

Another SF poster who doesn't understand maths lol 😂

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Another SF poster who doesn't understand maths lol 😂

Perhaps you missed the /s after my comment. I was (obviously) being sarcastic. 

I was highlighting the point that you can't extrapolate the vote share like that. The fact that Labour closed the gap until voting day does not mean that they would have continued to increase the vote share. They may have, or the vote could have levelled off, or the vote could have declined. It is impossible to say. 

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Really?

By your same logic, leave would have won by an even larger majority than remain if the referendum was held a bit later, since remain started with a huge poll lead that gradually eroded and then reversed on the day. Confusingly (and predictably) though, you only apply your logic selectively to suit what you want.

Edited by WiseOwl182