A new small political party

17 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Are you sure?

In 2013 he was just about the only Labour MP calling for an EU referendum.

He was one of only three Labour MPs to support May's deal  in the January vote.

He was one of the handful of Labour MPs who voted against Yvette Cooper's attempt to extend Article 50.

He opposes a People's Vote on EU membership.

I think that it is safe to say that he is a Brexiteer.

Does it really matter, in 30 days or so we'll all be Brexiteders. 

Brexit certainly isn't the only reason these MPs broke away from their party.

For many, a key reason is the rising anti-semitism in the labour party and the seemingly slow response of the leadership to it. 

2 hours ago, andyofborg said:

For many, a key reason is the rising anti-semitism in the labour party and the seemingly slow response of the leadership to it.

Some of them believe that the people that voted for them did not want JC as prime minister, and that is the Labour side  ;)

Change UK / TIG have split. Penistone and Stocksbridge MP Angela Smith is one of those splitting. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48515505

Change UK has lost six of its 11 MPs following a disappointing performance in last month's EU elections, when it failed to get a single MEP elected.

The party announced that a new party leader, Anna Soubry, had been elected.

She said she was "deeply disappointed" that Heidi Allen, Chuka Umunna, Sarah Wollaston, Angela Smith, Luciana Berger and Gavin Shuker had left.

The departing MPs said they would be "returning to supporting each other as an independent grouping of MPs".

Change UK - formerly known as the Independent Group - was formed earlier this year by MPs who quit Labour and the Conservatives.

On 20/02/2019 at 12:34, El Cid said:

The gang of 7 is now a gang of 11.

Do we support a new small party, should we have an electoral system that allows them to flourish?

A gang of 11 and 12 Liberal Democrats, they may well form one larger party.

Are there any implications for Brexit, Corbyn or May?

A small party needs a leader and policies, the Liberal Democrats already have both. A re-branded Liberal Tory/Lab party is the way forward?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47306022

Boooooom, the "new" Party has just imploded with half a dozen of the well known "personalities" abandoning it and returning to Parliament as Indipendants again.  Wonder if they will have a bye election this time. No would be my best guess.

Angel1.

12 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Boooooom, the "new" Party has just imploded with half a dozen of the well known "personalities" abandoning it and returning to Parliament as Indipendants again.  Wonder if they will have a bye election this time. No would be my best guess.

Angel1.

The people in Labour calling for a by election for the ex-Labour MP in Penistone and Stocksbridge are very quiet about the idea of a by election for the ex-Labour MP in Sheffield Hallam for some reason. 

Mind you, given their poor showing at recent local and EU elections I can't see our Labour friends piping up about by-elections for defectors quite as readily at present. 

3 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

Well that was predictable  wasn't  it? I wish I'd  have put a bet on that at the bookies.

4 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Wonder if they will have a bye election this time. No would be my best guess.

Angel1.

That’s about as likely as the Tories calling a GE once they’ve foisted an unelected prime minister upon us.

Again.

11 hours ago, Pettytom said:

That’s about as likely as the Tories calling a GE once they’ve foisted an unelected prime minister upon us.

Again.

When are Prime Minsters usually elected? 

7 hours ago, Robin-H said:

When are Prime Minsters usually elected? 

When those in office "think" they will win with an increased majority. Re May at the last election, but it went badly wrong didn't it.

Angel1.

20 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

When those in office "think" they will win with an increased majority. Re May at the last election, but it went badly wrong didn't it.

Angel1.

The point I was making was that Prime Ministers aren't elected, not really. We vote for MPs, and the party with the most MPs wins (typically..), and the leader of that party becomes PM. 

4 hours ago, Robin-H said:

The point I was making was that Prime Ministers aren't elected, not really. We vote for MPs, and the party with the most MPs wins (typically..), and the leader of that party becomes PM. 

So, the point that you were making was a sort of non-point.

Vote Theresa, get incompetent Boris. Not much of a recommendation of a political party, is it?