A new small political party

3 hours ago, ads36 said:

if we want more parties,  or, we want a 'new' party, we need to change the voting system. We had a referendum on that, we said no.

so 2 parties it is then.

Oh Lord, not another one that thinks another referendum would be a repeat of the first and undemocratic  😨

13 hours ago, El Cid said:

Oh Lord, not another one that thinks another referendum would be a repeat of the first and undemocratic

oh lord, don't be so quick to judge, i'm just being realistic - we're not going to get a referendum on electoral change. And there's no way Westminster will do it.

i think PR is a good idea, if it needs a referendum to make it happen, great. Personally, i think the AV system we said no to has a lot going for it. Personally, i'd be happy with another EU referendum.

but let's be pragmatic, the chances of us getting another referendum on *anything*, ever again, are small. The chances of us getting a referendum on electoral change, must be close to zero. it would destroy the status quo, and if there's one thing the 2 parties can agree on, it's maintaining the status quo.

a new breakaway party? - it's an entertaining distraction, sadly.

Edited by ads36

1 hour ago, ads36 said:

but let's be pragmatic, the chances of us getting another referendum on *anything*, ever again, are small. The chances of us getting a referendum on electoral change, must be close to zero.

Well the 52% that voted to leave the EU might disagree? Without a referendum we would still be inside the EU, forever.

Edited by El Cid

then we disagree.

it's ok.

i'd love to be wrong on this,  i just don't think we'll get a(nother) referendum on electoral change.

i really hope i'm wrong.

Edited by ads36

19 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

They have all left their respective parties because of their handling of Brexit. 

There is already a party between the two mainstream parties but the electorate has already rejected them in the last two elections.

In that in a first past the post system it's nearly impossible for them to actually do well, but if you look at the overall voting numbers instead of elected MPs...  A different story.

19 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

High profile? What was her profile at the time?

Does it really matter? And if it's that important, you could always look it up for yourself.

Edited by Mister M

Just now, Mister M said:

Does it really matter?

She's never mattered.

14 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

She's never mattered.

Well there you go. 

Edited by Mister M

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 17:08, melthebell said:

I'd rather the lib dems or greens doing better

Same here. But with the 2 main parties both being firmly up their own backsides and more interested in ideological purity than serving the common good this move has to be welcomed and encouraged.

I do think that The Independent Group will need to do a lot more to work with the Liberal Democrats and the Greens. And that means that the likes of our local TIG MP Angela Smith will need to cast aside their previous tribalism in order to get things done. 

2 minutes ago, Stoatwobbler said:

Same here. But with the 2 main parties both being firmly up their own backsides and more interested in ideological purity than serving the common good this move has to be welcomed and encouraged.

I do think that The Independent Group will need to do a lot more to work with the Liberal Democrats and the Greens. And that means that the likes of our local TIG MP Angela Smith will need to cast aside their previous tribalism in order to get things done. 

cant agree more fella, just a lil worried they maybe close to tory lite than lib dems or greens

On 20/02/2019 at 16:50, Top Cats Hat said:

Which presumably is why he came within a week of winning the 2017 election?

I think that a more centrist/inclusive Labour would have won the 2017 election. The Tories campaign was an absolute disaster. At the  worst they'd have been very close to the Tories.

8 minutes ago, melthebell said:

cant agree more fella, just a lil worried they maybe close to tory lite than lib dems or greens

That's the thing.

For all the talk of the 'centre ground', all eight Labour MPs are on the right of the party and all three Tories were more than happy to back Osborne's austerity measure during the coalition years.