Propaganda

I trust the bbc. There, I’ve said it. I’m not an educated man and their app works nicely. I know they aren’t perfect, I’ve spotted various inaccuracies in the past and the occasional hatchet job in an opinion piece but they’re better than most. With that in mind, please point out which reports on the front page are inaccurate or are laced with propaganda I don’t see.

Thanks in advance.

Brexit: Greg Clark, Amber Rudd and David Gauke issue delay warning http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47336501

Assam toxic alcohol deaths: 70 people die in north-eastern Indian state http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-47341941

Most mortgages go to first-time buyers, Halifax research shows http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47336500

R Kelly: Singer charged with sexual abuse in Chicago http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47338368

Now let’s chuck in a couple of opinion pieces or longer reads. I was going to chuck in report from someone like Jeremy Bowen or John Simpson but I thought I’d try to keep it limited to the front page of the app today.

How will Pope Francis deal with abuse in the Catholic Church? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-47201647

'Salman Rushdie radicalised my generation' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-47225607

Car industry: What's behind recent closures? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47291627

Lots of graphs in that last one ;)

ive snuck this one in. About a month old but I’m curious on why it should be discounted.

El Helicoide: From an icon to an infamous Venezuelan jail http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-46864864

And just look at the snazzy effects!

Educate me forumites. Not expecting a critique on all of them, but if you want to pick one that would be helpful.

I was watching the BBC this morning & caught their 'Newswatch' programme. On it was criticism of a number of BBC reports covering the proposed closing of the Honda factory in Swindon. 

When the story first broke & details were sketchy, the reporter was SPECULATING that amongst the reasons was of course Brexit.  By the 10pm news, Honda's parent company in Japan had laid out a number of reasons for the proposed closure; a shrinking world market for diesels in Europe & Asia; the need to invest in new plants & development of electric vehicles & they categorically denied that Brexit was a factor.  Straight from the horse's mouth then?  But no, the reporter covering the story for the BBC at 10pm was still pushing the Brexit angle?  Makes you wonder why? 

The Beeb. were certainly getting in the neck this morning from viewers of the news who were all fed up with reporters continually speculating on news stories, rather than reporting FACTS.  I guess that's the problem with 24 hour rolling news programmes?  You've got to fill the air time. 

Saying that, if there is ever major news story, I'll always tune into the BBC, even if I'm watching ITV or Sky at the time a story breaks. 

21 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

By the 10pm news, Honda's parent company in Japan had laid out a number of reasons for the proposed closure; a shrinking world market for diesels in Europe & Asia; the need to invest in new plants & development of electric vehicles & they categorically denied that Brexit was a factor.  Straight from the horse's mouth then?  But no, the reporter covering the story for the BBC at 10pm was still pushing the Brexit angle?  Makes you wonder why?

You seem to be questioning the neutrality of the BBC, in the same way, many will question the motives of Honda. Do Honda want the public to realise that the plant is closing partly because of Brexit and tariffs?

Honda sales have risen for the past 5 years, in 2012 they sold 3 million vehicles, in 2018 they sold 5 million vehicles. Diesel sales have declined in recent months/years, diesel car sales made up 32.4% of the total car market in 2018, compared with 43.5% in March 2017.

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

I was watching the BBC this morning & caught their 'Newswatch' programme. On it was criticism of a number of BBC reports covering the proposed closing of the Honda factory in Swindon. 

When the story first broke & details were sketchy, the reporter was SPECULATING that amongst the reasons was of course Brexit.  By the 10pm news, Honda's parent company in Japan had laid out a number of reasons for the proposed closure; a shrinking world market for diesels in Europe & Asia; the need to invest in new plants & development of electric vehicles & they categorically denied that Brexit was a factor.  Straight from the horse's mouth then?  But no, the reporter covering the story for the BBC at 10pm was still pushing the Brexit angle?  Makes you wonder why? 

The Beeb. were certainly getting in the neck this morning from viewers of the news who were all fed up with reporters continually speculating on news stories, rather than reporting FACTS.  I guess that's the problem with 24 hour rolling news programmes?  You've got to fill the air time. 

Saying that, if there is ever major news story, I'll always tune into the BBC, even if I'm watching ITV or Sky at the time a story breaks. 

I watched the Beeb news this morning, where Honda categorically stated Brexit had nothing to do with the decision to shut their Swindon plant.  But the Beeb still manage to get Brexit into  the report,

British Bias Corporation at its finest.

Angel1.

6 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I watched the Beeb news this morning, where Honda categorically stated Brexit had nothing to do with the decision to shut their Swindon plant.  But the Beeb still manage to get Brexit into  the report,

British Bias Corporation at its finest.

Angel1.

But surely any statement by a corporation shouldn't be necessarily taken at face value and reporters - it's their job - should dig inbetween the lines and look into things like the state of Honda's books, the industry as a whole etc etc etc.

9 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Given that Tesco and ASDA intially delayed claiming that Brexit uncertainty was harming their businesses for fear of a customer backlash, it is perfectly reasonable to speculate that Honda might not be being entirely truthful.

When it was revealed that Savid Javid had gone against his own Home Office policy to allow former ISIS supporters back to the UK under certain conditions when he tred to revoke Begum's citizenship, it was speculated that this had more to do with looking tough, pandering to social media opinion and a possible leadership bid than out of any principle. 

This speculation was also reasonable.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

You seem to be questioning the neutrality of the BBC, in the same way, many will question the motives of Honda. Do Honda want the public to realise that the plant is closing partly because of Brexit and tariffs?

Honda sales have risen for the past 5 years, in 2012 they sold 3 million vehicles, in 2018 they sold 5 million vehicles. Diesel sales have declined in recent months/years, diesel car sales made up 32.4% of the total car market in 2018, compared with 43.5% in March 2017.

Let's not get into a discussion on Brexit per se, that's covered in other threads but there are plenty of companies saying they intend to move out of the UK because of Brexit so why shouldn't we take at face value Honda's INSISTENCE it isn't proposing to close it's Swindon plant for other reasons, yet accept the BBC stance that Brexit IS a contributory factor? 

It's the same with Sky News.  I'm fed up seeing the screenshot just before they go to & come back from a breaks, 'Brexit Crisis', even when the previous or next story has no relation to Brexit or is even a political story. 

It's akin to a subtle subliminal message.  Tell people often enough there is is a 'crisis' & they'll start to believe the message.  It's not unlike Goebbels statement, (paraphrasing), that if you repeat a lie often enough, it eventually becomes the truth. 

Edited by Baron99

2 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Let's not get into a discussion on Brexit per se, that's covered in other threads but there are plenty of companies saying they intend to move out of the UK because of Brexit so why shouldn't we take at face value Honda's INSISTENCE it isn't proposing to close it's Swindon plant for other reasons, yet accept the BBC stance that Brexit IS a contributory factor? 

It's the same with Sky News.  I'm fed up seeing the screenshot just before they go to & come back from a breaks, 'Brexit Crisis', even when the previous or next story has no relation to Brexit or is even a political story. 

It's akin to a subtle subliminal message.  Tell people often enough there is is a 'crisis' & they'll start to believe the message. 

Regardless of the reason, I'd suggest the closure of honda (and Phillips and Schaeffer) and the halted investment at Nissan is sliding towards crisis for UK manufacturing.

16 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Regardless of the reason, I'd suggest the closure of honda (and Phillips and Schaeffer) and the halted investment at Nissan is sliding towards crisis for UK manufacturing.

I like it. You 'Suggest'.  Surely this is a former of propaganda? We're all guilty of it at times but when it comes to news organisations it's a dangerous thing.  I've got nothing against so called experts offering an opinion but speculation is a different animal. 

A poster mentioned RT previously.  Now although I do tune in for a laugh occasionally, (Max Keiser & his wife, Stacy Herbert must be considered idiots back in the US), how the British journalists keep a straight face, (RT must be paying them well), when reporting on the treatment of US prisoners in US gaols, (hmmm? Let's think Siberian gulags), or the oppression of minorities in both the US & surprisingly in the UK, (hmmm? Let's think the suppression of any minority groups, religious & sexual orientation wise by the Kremlin), I don't really know.  Royal Suchet's dad, John is no doubt proud of him & one day he'll no doubt try & get a job with ITN or the BBC? 

10 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

I like it. You 'Suggest'.  Surely this is a former of propaganda? We're all guilty of it at times but when it comes to news organisations it's a dangerous thing.  I've got nothing against so called experts offering an opinion but speculation is a different animal. 

A poster mentioned RT previously.  Now although I do tune in for a laugh occasionally, (Max Keiser & his wife, Stacy Herbert must be considered idiots back in the US), how the British journalists keep a straight face, (RT must be paying them well), when reporting on the treatment of US prisoners in US gaols, (hmmm? Let's think Siberian gulags), or the oppression of minorities in both the US & surprisingly in the UK, (hmmm? Let's think the suppression of any minority groups, religious & sexual orientation wise by the Kremlin), I don't really know.  Royal Suchet's dad, John is no doubt proud of him & one day he'll no doubt try & get a job with ITN or the BBC? 

What do you like about the word suggest? I'm looking at alot of manufacturing plants closing and wondering why? Maybe they just fancied it? 

Maybe it's the global economy? I don't know. Do you know? 

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

I do believe Brexit is an additional factor.  What the BBC would not report is "Honda close plant due to Government policies"   ;);)

A more modern twist on propaganda is the rise of fake news hand in hand with the demonisation of the mainstream media. This demonisation includes physical attacks on journalists, photographers and camera operators deemed to be the enemy by those on the right and far right.

At today's Wee Tommy Robinson rally in Salford, veiled threats were made to photographers covering the event.

"Wee Tommy Robinson holds Salford protest against BBC Panorama"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-47335414