Hillsborough corner tram problem yesterda y 18th Feb

I've just remembered that when I cycled through HC yesterday there were 2 trams stopped, 3 buses and apparently a car with a damaged wheel at the front.

Anyone know what happened?

SUPER TRAM UPDATE: TRAMS BLOCKED HILLSBOROUGH CORNER

Due to a broken down car at Hillsborough Corner trams currently blocked int the city from Middlewood and mailin Bridge.

4 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I've just remembered that when I cycled through HC yesterday there were 2 trams stopped, 3 buses and apparently a car with a damaged wheel at the front.

Anyone know what happened?

Car overtook a tram on the pedestrian crossing, realised it was red, shot in to the left and hit the kerb. Wheel axle looked snapped as the wheel was totally bent.

6 hours ago, Michael_N said:

Car overtook a tram on the pedestrian crossing, realised it was red, shot in to the left and hit the kerb. Wheel axle looked snapped as the wheel was totally bent.

Not a tram problem so much as another idiot driver problem then? 😂

Tram problem for everyone using it to get to work that morning!  But not the fault of the tram (which I never thought it was).

Not a tram problem so much as another idiot driver problem then

Of course it is a tram problem and one might ask what steps did Supertram take to minimise the disruption to their customers as well as keep them informed

BTW Is it legal to overtake a tram?

9 minutes ago, amnicoll said:

Of course it is a tram problem and one might ask what steps did Supertram take to minimise the disruption to their customers as well as keep them informed

Hmmm... :huh:

... maybe they could have fitted all the trams with one of those cow catcher thingies? :roll:

On 19/02/2019 at 11:34, Michael_N said:

Flippin idiot, I hope the police present them with a ticket for their stupid behaviour.

48 minutes ago, amnicoll said:

Not illegal per-se, but you'd need to do so in a safe and controlled manor without breaking the speed limit.

Given the roads they travel on it's unlikely you'd be able to do that.

I once saw a car overtake a moving tram going down West Street.  It was quite a spectacle.  To say it was touch and go doesn't do it justice!

3 hours ago, amnicoll said:

Always give way to trams. Do not try to race or overtake them or pass them on the inside, unless they are at tram stops or stopped by tram signals and there is a designated tramlane for you to pass. You MUST NOT park your vehicle where it would get in the way of trams or where it would force other drivers to do so.”

They would have been stopped at Hillsborough tram stop.  But the driver failed to anticipate the red signal and no room to complete the overtake by the sounds of it.

Not the trams fault, but they have no way to notify passengers further on of the disruption (since the electronic signage isn't fit for purpose).

I did my bit by shouting from my bike that the tram was stuck at Hillsborough as I went past people waiting at the stops!  Probably sounded like a loon and I've no idea if they understood me.

The one thing they can do with the electronic signage is to put emergency messages on display with info for passengers. Unfortunately they usually can not be bothered and the both the PTE and Stagecoach will blame the other