By-elections

5 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I've now changed my mind on this. 

I think they should all stand for re-election (except Ian Austin). Usually there is a very specific, individual reason for an MP to resign from their party  like there was with Jared O'Meara. This however is different. 

These resignations were not individuals taking individual action but a coordinated action with a common political aim. Not only that, but they now form a bloc in the commons which is equal in number to the Lib Dems. An individual defector usually wields little power however these individuals form the fourth largest voting bloc in the commons. If 50% of MP's changed party, they would constitutionally have every right to continue as an MP without re-election but it would then cause a sizeable disconnect between what people voted and how they are represented in Parliament.

For these reasons I now think that they should all stand for re-election except for Ian Austin who is actually a genuine independant MP.

Why? They could have stayed with labour and just voted how they pleased anyway (you know, like corbyn did when he was on the back benches). They’ve made a statement by leaving their parties - the last bit of that statement is the inevitable unemployment at th next election.

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I think they should all stand for re-election (except Ian Austin). Usually there is a very specific, individual reason for an MP to resign from their party  like there was with Jared O'Meara. This however is different.

Perhaps they should stand for re-election, but they have all resigned the whip for different reasons.

I imagine there will be a general election in a few months anyway, so a by election now would be a bit pointless