Hypoglycemia.

My grandaughter has hypoglycemia and has to have regular

sweet snacks to boost her sugar levels. This is not easy as

she's at school and is only 4 and a half.  I've heard that from

the age of 5 they can grow out of it.  Has anyone any experience of this?

11 hours ago, mikeG said:

Let's  hope she grows out of it if they do I'm  not sure but she's  not diebetic 1 is she?

Either or if the teachers are aware  of her condition they will keep an eye on her.

Diebetic1 children of the same age have to have insulin injections at school and seem to cope alright and on the other hand if they have a hypoglycaemia  attack they are aloud sugary  snacks. Have a talk with the head teacher and make them aware. 

No, she's not diabetic - she just has regular low sugar level (below 4 I think). I'll make sure her teachers are fully aware

that she needs regular snacks to maintain safe levels.

17 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

on the other hand if they have a hypoglycaemia  attack they are aloud sugary  snacks. Have a talk with the head teacher and make them aware. 

If they have a "Hypo" attack and the sugar levels drop too low, trying to give sugary  snacks is not as easy as some may think,it's the same as  giving a lump of sugar,they may not want to  eat/drink and will be unaware anything is wrong....my wife has been type 1 for 48 years and i have seen her have many "Hypo's"with blood sugars dropping to as low as 1.4......when it gets that low she is totally out of it and does not even know how to swallow any fluids let alone chew anything,it is then up to me to try and bring her around......she carries a small bottle of Lucozade with her everywhere ...(as well as testing her blood sugar levels 5-6 times a day).... and if she feels her levels are dropping she takes a small drink,..(at one time her lips would start to tingle and she knew it was getting low)...unfortunately they started to take the sugar out of these drinks so it does not work as it used to,we keep a 500ml bottle in the bedroom... (plus large bottles for top ups)... at all times but i also put a teaspoon of sugar inside now to help it act faster..there is also  "GLUCOGEL"  also known as "HYPOSTOP" which is a fast acting remedy......sucking boiled sweets is ok but now most have artificial sweeteners in them.As a child it must be very hard to try and maintain blood sugar levels especially if they are active 

On 18/02/2019 at 11:12, mikeG said:

I had hypoglycemia when I was a child of 5 years old, I was in hospital at Seacroft for 6 weeks during this time I had various tests and when I came home I used to drink  of milk with several teaspoons of sugar  in, so much so that I grated my teeth on it, and Lucozade was taken by the gallon, (still love it!), they also told me to take glucose  sweets daily.

I hope your granddaughter makes a quick and speedy recovery,

2 hours ago, euclid said:

If they have a "Hypo" attack and the sugar levels drop too low, trying to give sugary  snacks is not as easy as some may think,it's the same as  giving a lump of sugar,they may not want to  eat/drink and will be unaware anything is wrong....my wife has been type 1 for 48 years and i have seen her have many "Hypo's"with blood sugars dropping to as low as 1.4......when it gets that low she is totally out of it and does not even know how to swallow any fluids let alone chew anything,it is then up to me to try and bring her around......she carries a small bottle of Lucozade with her everywhere ...(as well as testing her blood sugar levels 5-6 times a day).... and if she feels her levels are dropping she takes a small drink,..(at one time her lips would start to tingle and she knew it was getting low)...unfortunately they started to take the sugar out of these drinks so it does not work as it used to,we keep a 500ml bottle in the bedroom... (plus large bottles for top ups)... at all times but i also put a teaspoon of sugar inside now to help it act faster..there is also  "GLUCOGEL"  also known as "HYPOSTOP" which is a fast acting remedy......sucking boiled sweets is ok but now most have artificial sweeteners in them.As a child it must be very hard to try and maintain blood sugar levels especially if they are active 

I agree but  I am talking before they reach the 1.4 figure as for when you get too low you are not capable  of even drinking a sweet drink or you my choke that's  when the sweet gel comes in that you can rub onto the gums.

My grandson has been diabetic1  since he was 18 months old and it was always a worry when he started school.

15 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

I agree but  I am talking before they reach the 1.4 figure as for when you get too low you are not capable  of even drinking a sweet drink or you my choke that's  when the sweet gel comes in that you can rub onto the gums.

My grandson has been diabetic1  since he was 18 months old and it was always a worry when he started school.

My wife's blood levels always seem to drop really low in the early hours. 2-3 am ,throughout the day it stays ok most of the time unless she has been very busy,fortunately she does realise this and i can also tell just by looking at her or by the way she talks,i  must have developed a "sixth sense" over the years as i always wake up possibly because she fidgets so much as well as sweating/breathing abnormally..When it gets really low i do as you have.."rub Hypostop" onto her gums but am always careful as she may try to bite my fingers.To people who do not know anything about Diabetes when in a "Hypo" they would just appear to be drunk...she became a type 1 (2 injections daily) at 18/19 years old..she is 68 in May.....6 days a week i take her down to  the co-op/doctors/shops etc in the next village  but really it is just for the exercise as she walk's back over the field's about 3 mile's, we keep in contact by mobile and i usually meet her....she is quite fit still and hasn't a grey hair on her head...i reckon it's all the drug's she's on...lol ;)

2 hours ago, euclid said:

My wife's blood levels always seem to drop really low in the early hours. 2-3 am ,throughout the day it stays ok most of the time unless she has been very busy,fortunately she does realise this and i can also tell just by looking at her or by the way she talks,i  must have developed a "sixth sense" over the years as i always wake up possibly because she fidgets so much as well as sweating/breathing abnormally..When it gets really low i do as you have.."rub Hypostop" onto her gums but am always careful as she may try to bite my fingers.To people who do not know anything about Diabetes when in a "Hypo" they would just appear to be drunk...she became a type 1 (2 injections daily) at 18/19 years old..she is 68 in May.....6 days a week i take her down to  the co-op/doctors/shops etc in the next village  but really it is just for the exercise as she walk's back over the field's about 3 mile's, we keep in contact by mobile and i usually meet her....she is quite fit still and hasn't a grey hair on her head...i reckon it's all the drug's she's on...lol ;)

You do get to recognise the signs but to the people who are unaware  it is difficult for them, I have heard of young people being arrested because the police thought they were drunk until  it was established  that they were hypoing.

My grandson has 6 injections a day and learnt to do it himself at school when he was 8.   He is on the Dose Adjustment  for Normal Eating   DAFNE. It works well for him.

Glad to hear your wife is physically  fit, it does help the patients. 

Edited by jaffa1