22:1 - Local bias vs National reason.

Last night, a friend of mine pointed me in the direction of what can only be described as a rather delusional discussion about ourselves.  The thread itself was on a very popular Sheffield Wednesday discussion board and was based around the progression that we have made over the last few years. 

Now don't get me wrong, hidden amongst countless insults and sheer nescience we're some pretty decent comments, from who I can only imagine are time served Sheffield Football fans. But some of the comments have left me bewildered to say the least. 

From this discussion and a few other discussions and comments made by our neighbours, I have picked up on us being described as the following. 

- over physical

- talentless

- one dimensional

- lucky

- route one

Even in a recent post on this board it was suggested that we are perhaps where we are through the odd "sneaky goal", despite winning a large percentage of our games this season quite comfortably. 

It genuinely astonishes me how bias some of the opinions actually are. 

I am a regular reader of a blades based blog (the link of which I will place at the bottom for those interested). In this blog, a blades fan goes to the effort week in / week out to gather both pre and post match opinions of the weeks particular opposition. It has to be said that this season in particular, the comments of rival fans have been a breath of fresh air to read. A good few fans of opposing Championship teams have been lauding us for the way that we play football, our style of play and the way we go about business, many of which may I add have been highly complimentary in calling us the best team that they have played in the league this season. A good few suggesting that their own club should use us as a model of how to play football in this league. 

Should you read some of the views of other fans in the blog below, you will see such comments as. 

- Play some of the best football i've seen this season. 

- At times they were simply unplayable. 

- A quality team who play quality football. 

- Literally ran rings around our midfield .

- Automatic promotion contenders. 

- Couldn't get them out of our half. 

- Relentless. 

It just goes to show really how views differ between fans. Passion, hatred and bias are no doubt a major factor behind some of the bewildering comments made by our neighbours, whilst fans of other clubs are able to compliment us and envy what we are doing and achieving at the minute. 

All of the OPTA stats back up the opinion of many of our league rivals - From possession, to pass completion, to shots on target. 

Edited by Groose
Removed advert

Roles reversed and there would be blades saying the same. 

Stop looking at owlstalk then, that's a bit obsessional!

9 minutes ago, speedy69 said:

I haven't been on Owlstalk persé though have I? 

I merely visited a link that has been posted and banded around the Sheffield United discussion boards and social media. I haven't taken it upon myself to go and read a Sheffield Wednesday discussion board, I would have to be extremely bored to go and do that to be fair. 

The only thing I am obsessed with is Sheffield United Football Club and the fantastic season we are having. Another win yesterday by the margin of a "sneaky goal" or 4 🤣.

But part of me is glad that I did visit the link because truth be said, it has broadened my horizons as to how biased, irrational and even deluded some people can actually be. 

24 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Roles reversed and there would be blades saying the same. 

If you lot were riding high in the league and playing good football, I would probably be on the side of those who are a bit more long in the tooth in all fairness.  Whilst naturally i'm not overly fond of the neighbours, I would be happy to compliment good football. 

Edited by cmonkes

6 minutes ago, speedy69 said:

I agree with you .Anybody who spends a load of time studying a rivals blogs must be worried or obsessed. 

2 minutes ago, petcharlie said:

I agree with you .Anybody who spends a load of time studying a rivals blogs must be worried or obsessed. 

Or I could have just followed a link posted on a popular Sheffield United forum 😆

Spoiler

Shock, shock. horror! 

Edited by cmonkes

2 hours ago, cmonkes said:

Last night, a friend of mine pointed me in the direction of what can only be described as a rather delusional discussion about ourselves.  The thread itself was on a very popular Sheffield Wednesday discussion board and was based around the progression that we have made over the last few years. 

Now don't get me wrong, hidden amongst countless insults and sheer nescience we're some pretty decent comments, from who I can only imagine are time served Sheffield Football fans. But some of the comments have left me bewildered to say the least. 

From this discussion and a few other discussions and comments made by our neighbours, I have picked up on us being described as the following. 

- over physical

- talentless

- one dimensional

- lucky

- route one

Even in a recent post on this board it was suggested that we are perhaps where we are through the odd "sneaky goal", despite winning a large percentage of our games this season quite comfortably. 

I am a regular reader of a blades based blog (the link of which I will place at the bottom for those interested). In this blog, a blades fan goes to the effort week in / week out to gather both pre and post match opinions of the weeks particular opposition. It has to be said that this season in particular, the comments of rival fans have been a breath of fresh air to read. A good few fans of opposing Championship teams have been lauding us for the way that we play football, our style of play and the way we go about business, many of which may I add have been highly complimentary in calling us the best team that they have played in the league this season. A good few suggesting that their own club should use us as a model of how to play football in this league. 

Should you read some of the views of other fans in the blog below, you will see such comments as. 

- Relentless. 

It just goes to show really how views differ between fans. Passion, hatred and bias are no doubt a major factor behind some of the bewildering comments made by our neighbours, whilst fans of other clubs are able to compliment us and envy what we are doing and achieving at the minute. 

All of the OPTA stats back up the opinion of many of our league rivals - From possession, to pass completion, to shots on target. 

It is no surprise to me mate I to have read the comments of other fans of clubs we have played and the vast majority of them have been very complementary .These are comments from ordinary football fans who do not have any axe to grind and who are not deluded or envious of their neighbours surge up the football pyramid .A lot of fans of other clubs did not want to believe or would not accept that as soon as Wilder arrived the club took off and as gone from strength to strength and it is still climbing the ladder.I think you will find that fans from more far flung clubs speak with no bias at all and tell it as it is unlike local fans who are turning a shade of green and are really outraged that their club can not keep up.

- over physical

- talentless

- one dimensional

- lucky

- route one

- Relentless. 

The bitterness and alleged delusions of Wednesday fans is as nothing compared to the sheer bitterness and delusional belief of Barnsley fans to either Sheffield club. Ask Albert Smith

5 hours ago, petcharlie said:

It is no surprise to me mate I to have read the comments of other fans of clubs we have played and the vast majority of them have been very complementary .These are comments from ordinary football fans who do not have any axe to grind and who are not deluded or envious of their neighbours surge up the football pyramid .A lot of fans of other clubs did not want to believe or would not accept that as soon as Wilder arrived the club took off and as gone from strength to strength and it is still climbing the ladder.I think you will find that fans from more far flung clubs speak with no bias at all and tell it as it is unlike local fans who are turning a shade of green and are really outraged that their club can not keep up.

So if the roles were reversed there wouldn't be any blades saying what the OP has said? Of course there would be. There are plenty of owls including me that aren't envious of where you are but can accept you are playing much better than us.

Also Just because a fan from a different city says something good or bad doesn't mean there's no bias in it

18 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

So if the roles were reversed there wouldn't be any blades saying what the OP has said? Of course there would be. There are plenty of owls including me that aren't envious of where you are but can accept you are playing much better than us.

Also Just because a fan from a different city says something good or bad doesn't mean there's no bias in it

In reply to Ridgewalk who walks around Ridgeway ,What crap.I have in the last hour praised Gary Madine at United and have stated that United will get promoted this season.

As to the Owls I consider them to be our closest rivals who's supporters must be the best in England the way that they stick to the team through thin and thick.

Barnsley are doing brilliant even though the local rag ignores them and gives all the head lines to United , this causes resentment as does Look North with its all things Leeds United.

Edited by Albert smith

The OP has typed a lengthy post and actually said nothing, of course rivals are going to play down the merits of local rivals, I'm sure if you have a look back when we were heading to the play off final disparaging comments would have abounded. For the record I've never felt the need to read a united based forum even though I don't mind any of our local clubs doing well.

Edited by Brooker11

On 17/02/2019 at 13:27, cmonkes said:

- over physical

- talentless

- one dimensional

- lucky

- route one

- Relentless. 

Why are you so desperate for Wednesdayites to compliment you ? What does it matter ? Enjoy the promotion challenge and look up, Wednesday are a 16th place team, what's the obsession ?