Ecclesall Road in trouble

Just now, the fonz said:

The turnover on ecclesall road has always been high, possibly because the high rents mean new business can start to struggle very quickly.

There are several places which have been on eccy road for a long while and it always seems busy. 

High turnover isnt an issue as long as the vacant premises get filled quickly. 

And yet high rents have nothing to do with any of these closures, because they all closed within months of opening.  THAT is my point.  It's not as if Cats Pyjamas had been there decades and got booted because its rent went up.  Ditto Bocelli and Lucky Fox. Vino had been there just a few months also.  They all had new leases.

There is only so much money to round, lots of new options down at Kelham and soon to be a new food hall called Kommune in the old co-op Castle House store. 

Bocelli wasnt a new lease. It was a re-branding by the same tenant from their Craft & Dough concept, where I assume trade had declined as loads of other places started doing craft beer and their pizza wasnt worth returning for.

Wine / Champagne / Prosecco bars rarely seem to last even on Eccy Rd, I assume because wine lovers dont guzzle enough of the stuff, most wont be choosing the more expensive from the list, and Sheffielder's have a chip on their shoulders about snobbery- a good proportion wouldn't set foot in anywhere that describes itself as a wine bar.

Edited by lil-minx92
spelling

30 minutes ago, lil-minx92 said:

Bocelli wasnt a new lease. It was a re-branding by the same tenant from their Craft & Dough concept, where I assume trade had declined as loads of other places started doing craft beer and their pizza wasnt worth returning for.

Wine / Champagne / Prosecco bars rarely seem to last even on Eccy Rd, I assume because wine lovers dont guzzle enough of the stuff, most wont be choosing the more expensive from the list, and Sheffielder's have a chip on their shoulders about snobbery- a good proportion wouldn't set foot in anywhere that describes itself as a wine bar.

Wasn't Bocelli more a tapas and drinks place?

There are several 'wine bar' places on Eccie Road that do a roaring trade.  Nonnas is heaving with WAGs drinking wine all day, as is the place across the road whose name escapes me - the posh bar on the corner.  Then there is the new incarnation of Pointing Dog, and the two or three posh bars opening up further down that seem aimed at the trendy set.

That's discounting the three craft beer places that seem to do well, aiming at a posher group than your typical pub patrons

3 minutes ago, bendix said:

Wasn't Bocelli more a tapas and drinks place?

There are several 'wine bar' places on Eccie Road that do a roaring trade.  Nonnas is heaving with WAGs drinking wine all day, as is the place across the road whose name escapes me - the posh bar on the corner.  Then there is the new incarnation of Pointing Dog, and the two or three posh bars opening up further down that seem aimed at the trendy set.

That's discounting the three craft beer places that seem to do well, aiming at a posher group than your typical pub patrons

I though this thread was about a suggestion that the location going down hill..seems to be a hive of activity!

Not really. I just thought it odd that four relatively new places opened and closed so quickly.

It's no reflection on the rest of the road, although I do think it's losing its edge a bit lately.  How many £25 gents barbers and charity shops do we need, after all?

Didn't Nonnas go bust a few years ago and then reopen, twice maybe?

14 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Didn't Nonnas go bust a few years ago and then reopen, twice maybe?

once and your point? its probably one of the longest stayers on the road, not a favourite of mine but plenty do like it.

On 17/02/2019 at 09:33, bassett one said:

luxurys are all suffering as most people are being sqeezed money wise,only the wealthy have spare cash these days in my opinion

Eccy Road is a student venue mainly.  It was once the place to find an upmarket wine bar or restaurant, but the place to find those now is Manchester or Leeds.  So that's probably why Sheffield can't sustain them, not even on the road that purports to be Sheffield's "Champs Elysees".  

1 hour ago, neworderishere said:

once and your point? its probably one of the longest stayers on the road, not a favourite of mine but plenty do like it.

Is it really the same place though if it went bust with debts of £330,000 and reopened as a new business with the same name?

53 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

Eccy Road is a student venue mainly.  It was once the place to find an upmarket wine bar or restaurant, but the place to find those now is Manchester or Leeds.  So that's probably why Sheffield can't sustain them, not even on the road that purports to be Sheffield's "Champs Elysees".  

Odd reference, the Champs Elysees is mostly lined with shops, not bars and restaurants.

45 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Is it really the same place though if it went bust with debts of £330,000 and reopened as a new business with the same name?

Odd reference, the Champs Elysees is mostly lined with shops, not bars and restaurants.

of course its the same place , same directors same features same facade, just a different company its called pheonixing standard business practice.

Different company.  There we go.