Ecclesall Road in trouble

10 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Personally I don't frequent ER because I prefer not to drive if I'm going out for a meal, so that I can have wine or beer.  And ER is a pain to get to on public transport, and further for me than the centre if going by taxi.

It's not that I never go there, it's just not my preferred destination.  I'd rather go to Kelham Island tbh, plenty of interesting new places to eat, decent pubs, and (it seems to me) a bit less pretentious.

Dodge the hookers then.

10 hours ago, dutch said:

Personally I have found that the vibe of E road can be shortsighted at times and mostly only find certain type of people there who all seem to be stuck at the same level.  The few I met there that didn't fall in this typical E road personality were easy to spot and recognise in the typical main crowd that is usually there.

You asked me to elaborate, 

Nothing wrong in liking E road, thinking it is fantastic or superior. But on top of that you call yourself a wiseowl and don't even understand a simple comment.  What is really needed here is not elaboration but understanding and insight to go deeper than the little hubs people get attached to. E road people are the wisest of Sheffield but this wisdom is only of superficial intellectual knowledge thinking this is superior. They have no experience that goes further or deeper than this failing to see how small their little intellectual world really is. 

It is non of my business cause it is a personal choice to stay there thinking it is heaven or move on and see what is really fantastic by discovering the ultimate freedom that is out there when you leave all hubs behind and open up in a universal world experiencing total freedom because you don't need to condemn other hubs no longer.

I think you might be reading a little too much into things..

11 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Dodge the hookers then.

You've not been to that area for a long time if you think that that's still an issue.

On the weekend that Peddlers market runs Kelham Island is busier than I've ever seen the centre in an evening.

People were taking their little children to kelham island last night.

On 06/03/2019 at 09:46, dutch said:

Personally I have found that the vibe of E road can be shortsighted at times and mostly only find certain type of people there who all seem to be stuck at the same level.  The few I met there that didn't fall in this typical E road personality were easy to spot and recognise in the typical main crowd that is usually there.

You asked me to elaborate, 

Nothing wrong in liking E road, thinking it is fantastic or superior. But on top of that you call yourself a wiseowl and don't even understand a simple comment.  What is really needed here is not elaboration but understanding and insight to go deeper than the little hubs people get attached to. E road people are the wisest of Sheffield but this wisdom is only of superficial intellectual knowledge thinking this is superior. They have no experience that goes further or deeper than this failing to see how small their little intellectual world really is. 

It is non of my business cause it is a personal choice to stay there thinking it is heaven or move on and see what is really fantastic by discovering the ultimate freedom that is out there when you leave all hubs behind and open up in a universal world experiencing total freedom because you don't need to condemn other hubs no longer.

As far as I can tell Eccy Road caters for families, students, young professionals and an older crowd - I wouldn't call that 'a certain type of people'.

Not sure what all the spitefulness is about regarding different people's opinions of where is good to go. As my username suggests I like Eccy Road, but I also like Kelham Island, I've lived in Hillsborough and Meadowhead whihc both had some advantages, it's not a competition and definitely not worth getting shirty about.

I've also had some good meals on The Wicker, whihc I believe makes me a rat or a pigeon?

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 10:04, Cyclone said:

Personally I don't frequent ER because I prefer not to drive if I'm going out for a meal, so that I can have wine or beer.  And ER is a pain to get to on public transport, and further for me than the centre if going by taxi.

It's not that I never go there, it's just not my preferred destination.  I'd rather go to Kelham Island tbh, plenty of interesting new places to eat, decent pubs, and (it seems to me) a bit less pretentious.

For sure.  All those bearded hipsters (and their boyfriends)  chowing down on avocado toast and £12 gin cocktails.   Kelham Island isn't pretentious at all.

You don't see so much avocado toast when in a pub in an evening, even in Kelham Island.

And I don't believe that the Gardeners Rest actually sell any £12 gin cocktails...  Nor do Shakespears, the Fat Cat or The Kehlam Island Tavern.  Perhaps you're thinking of somewhere else. :D

7 hours ago, bendix said:

For sure.  All those bearded hipsters (and their boyfriends)  chowing down on avocado toast and £12 gin cocktails.   Kelham Island isn't pretentious at all.

Lmao. I was enjoying the drink you've just made me splatter everywhere.

6 hours ago, Eccy Beach said:

As far as I can tell Eccy Road caters for families, students, young professionals and an older crowd - I wouldn't call that 'a certain type of people'.

Not sure what all the spitefulness is about regarding different people's opinions of where is good to go. As my username suggests I like Eccy Road, but I also like Kelham Island, I've lived in Hillsborough and Meadowhead whihc both had some advantages, it's not a competition and definitely not worth getting shirty about.

I've also had some good meals on The Wicker, whihc I believe makes me a rat or a pigeon?

I go to E road and K island and a road is not the people on it. Both are fine and have their own personal qualities and shortcomings.

Sorry about that wicker rat comment as I saw one running over the road there last summer but that could happen anywhere sometime.

Some of my previous comments were not really ment to put any place down or up but to explain observations made while being there. Where these observations are made is irrelevant to me. 

It is unfortunate E road is struggling and great other places are developing. 

From what I heard from someone with a business on Ecclesall Road, rents there are astronomic, which I suspect is at the root of problems. 

On 07/03/2019 at 20:53, kaytie said:

From what I heard from someone with a business on Ecclesall Road, rents there are astronomic, which I suspect is at the root of problems. 

I'm still not sure where this 'Ecclesall Road is struggling' is coming from? Two restaurants closed, and have now been replaced by new ones.  If you compare the number of empty units on E Road to those in town I think you'd find which area is really struggling?

This is true - the road has always been vibrant with venues always shutting down and opening up .... but if anyone wants to try an alternative vibe you could do worse than venture down to Abbeydale Road especially the area around the old cinema ... teams and teams of new coffee shops, cafes, restaurants and bars are have opened up in recent years 😮

Edited by GinTreeS7

On 07/03/2019 at 12:27, Eccy Beach said:

i don't know about that but according top some ...allegedly you might have been eating one