Ecclesall Road in trouble

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Kelham Island are is really  on the up, full of chic wine bars and restaurants as well as a few traditional pubs like Fat Cat.

Who'd have thought it....?

Kelham Island was mental this last weekend. Queues to get in Peddler and no room in some of the places around it - including the Workshop and the various brewery taps. This was as early as 5-6pm.

Whilst queueing I also noticed a little antiques / curio shop had opened up opposite Peddler as well, so not just the bars doing trade. Though I do wonder whether they will get anything on a wet Monday afternoon.  Good to see, though.

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:01, Cyclone said:

Very much like the CE then, well known for having a Carrefour metro and a shoe repair shop just next door to the flagship store for Louis Vitton.

Okay, it has some.  But a Champs Elysees it isn't.

The list of shops reads like the average shopping street of a small market town.  Grocery stores, a single jewellers, a party shop...  So, a small selection of entirely average shopping.

Yes, it's literally NOT the Champs Elysees :)

On 17/02/2019 at 20:29, Edward Vimto said:

People go to The Wicker now. Eccy Road is finished.

the wicker once had loads of pubs and embarking a pub crawl only drinkling pints starting at the hole in the wall that finished in the bull and mouth was minor achievement but now its as good as dead...   

of course it still has sisman's electrical I'm told its the only place left like it in sheffield since bardwells went...  the only real  alternatives beingthe big DiY places

there is a late night chemist... weel known but not very late and not everynight

the motability place and the carpet roll end center

parking for all of those leaves much to be desired

other than those nothing else really except some what might be loosely called food outlets and some that call themselves restaurants.. i do not know what criteria a place has to meet to be a classed as a restaurant.   if being able to eat whilst sat on a chair and has tablecloths is enough then there are restaurants...

then again some people would call mcdonalds a restaurant...  probably people that have never eaten in a real restaurant

but who  would choose to eat on the wicker?

almost no parking and as there is no parking on wicker itself and i for one would not want to leave a vehicle i valued on one of the side streets even during daylight hours.

whenever people talk about food and hygeine issues in Sheffield guess where always gets a mention.

for most people there is nothing much else there worthy of mention that is exclusive to the wicker.

woodseats and hillsborough used to be thriving centers...  you could shop at hillsborough at one time and never NEED to go into sheffield, hillsborough continues to survive i'm not sure how long either it or woodseats has left.

ecclesall road still does have some places you can eat in that are not regularly featured on food hygeine documentaries.   though if some do not revise their prices then I don't know how long they will endure. but at least ER does have more than inflated price food to offer though i wonder for how much longer. there are though some shops that are worth visiting but a number of those have disappeared in the last decade... leaving space for the short term   I-wouldn't-bother-with-them-take-aways   none much more appealing than either the wicker or london road.  though the chippy is ok i'm told.

1 hour ago, fill said:

but who  would choose to eat on the wicker?

A rat?

47 minutes ago, dutch said:

A rat?

true they will    ...and some pigeons

8 hours ago, DnAuK said:

Kelham Island was mental this last weekend. Queues to get in Peddler and no room in some of the places around it - including the Workshop and the various brewery taps. This was as early as 5-6pm.

Whilst queueing I also noticed a little antiques / curio shop had opened up opposite Peddler as well, so not just the bars doing trade. Though I do wonder whether they will get anything on a wet Monday afternoon.  Good to see, though.

Yes, it's literally NOT the Champs Elysees :)

It was a little quieter around Kelham Island on Sat.  I was there 1900 at Shakespeare's, then probably 2000 KI Tav, 2030 Fat Cat, 2100 Old Workshop, 2130 briefly into the new big barn thing, straight back out, 2135 Gardeners Rest and 2200 taxi to Rutland Arms.

14 hours ago, Cyclone said:

You're kind of missing the point.  ER is so close to the centre that that's the yardstick it's compared to.

It's not superior to the centre, quite inferior to it in fact.

It's far superior to the city centre.

9 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Your name explains it all how you devide and judge that little part of Sheffield.

Edited by dutch

As a shopping destination?  Well, it must be the single jewellers, couple of small supermarkets and a bakery that make it so...  Wait...  No, that definitely sounds inferior.

What is it that makes you feel it's a better shopping destination?

16 hours ago, Cyclone said:

As a shopping destination?  Well, it must be the single jewellers, couple of small supermarkets and a bakery that make it so...  Wait...  No, that definitely sounds inferior.

What is it that makes you feel it's a better shopping destination?

No maybe not as a shopping destination, but for bars, cafes and restaurants, and the overall vibe of the place. It's just a great kind of hub.

16 hours ago, dutch said:

Your name explains it all how you devide and judge that little part of Sheffield.

Please, elaborate?

8 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

No maybe not as a shopping destination, but for bars, cafes and restaurants, and the overall vibe of the place. It's just a great kind of hub.

Please, elaborate?

i agree a far better class of customer, better quality shops, bars and restaurants with generally a better clientele. cheaper on road parking for our 4x4s, more choice of food. plenty of independent businesses that actually produce a decent offering.

quite nice compared to town.

Please, elaborate?

Personally I have found that the vibe of E road can be shortsighted at times and mostly only find certain type of people there who all seem to be stuck at the same level.  The few I met there that didn't fall in this typical E road personality were easy to spot and recognise in the typical main crowd that is usually there.

You asked me to elaborate, 

Nothing wrong in liking E road, thinking it is fantastic or superior. But on top of that you call yourself a wiseowl and don't even understand a simple comment.  What is really needed here is not elaboration but understanding and insight to go deeper than the little hubs people get attached to. E road people are the wisest of Sheffield but this wisdom is only of superficial intellectual knowledge thinking this is superior. They have no experience that goes further or deeper than this failing to see how small their little intellectual world really is. 

It is non of my business cause it is a personal choice to stay there thinking it is heaven or move on and see what is really fantastic by discovering the ultimate freedom that is out there when you leave all hubs behind and open up in a universal world experiencing total freedom because you don't need to condemn other hubs no longer.

Personally I don't frequent ER because I prefer not to drive if I'm going out for a meal, so that I can have wine or beer.  And ER is a pain to get to on public transport, and further for me than the centre if going by taxi.

It's not that I never go there, it's just not my preferred destination.  I'd rather go to Kelham Island tbh, plenty of interesting new places to eat, decent pubs, and (it seems to me) a bit less pretentious.