Ecclesall Road in trouble

16 hours ago, bendix said:

I was walking down Ecclesall Road yesterday and noticed that no fewer than four restaurants have closed in the past few weeks. 

Cats Pyjamas took over from some Italian chain that itself closed a year ago and after only eight months seems to have given up.  

Lucky Fox has been evicted by its landlord. 

Vino has only been around a year or so too. Now that’s gone.  

And bocelli has closed. I expected better from this place as it is run by the guys who own the Mikestone in KI. Nope. Another failure.  

Is this a sign of things to come?

My heart bleeds.

eating on the wicker . i think i'd rather put needles in my eyes.

but look around sheffield generally there are businesses ceasing trading all the time.

i said it before they had even finished talking about the planning of it...  they should never have allowed meadowhall or crystal peaks almost all those businesses would have been sited in the middle of town, even without the duplication there would still have been quite a few more than there are now.  

i remain convinced that despite appearances, new buildings etc  the city center is taking its time over it but dying slowly and that i'm sure is for someone a desired outcome.

It's nothing new.

Places have come and gone as long as I have been here.

Best thing is to not choose a silly foreign name or it won't last.

1 hour ago, dutch said:

It's nothing new.

Places have come and gone as long as I have been here.

Best thing is to not choose a silly foreign name or it won't last.

What an utterly ridiculous comment.

Cats Pyjamas closed because the whole (small) chain went into admin. The chicken place had issues with the landlord, Boccelis seemed to be the latest offering in that unit from the same group that seem to trade on the latest passing fad (never going to be a long term success), I'll be interested to see what they open as next (vegan? / probably too late for Gin bar)...

Theres always brisk turnover in the restaurant / bar business. I think its noticeable on Eccy Rd because there's so many of them.

11 minutes ago, lil-minx92 said:

Cats Pyjamas closed because the whole (small) chain went into admin. The chicken place had issues with the landlord, Boccelis seemed to be the latest offering in that unit from the same group that seem to trade on the latest passing fad (never going to be a long term success), I'll be interested to see what they open as next (vegan? / probably too late for Gin bar)...

Theres always brisk turnover in the restaurant / bar business. I think its noticeable on Eccy Rd because there's so many of them.

Cats Pyjamas came out of administration after it was rescued.  The owner told YEP that she gave up the Sheffield lease because it was too difficult to travel regularly from Leeds to Sheffield while looking after her baby.  They have recently opened a new branch in Leeds.

I know food places come and go, but I've never seen four go so quickly on such a prominent foodie street.

2 hours ago, Halibut said:

What an utterly ridiculous comment.

I have lived here a long time and it is more often the places with very odd weird foreign names that have trouble to exist for longer.

23 minutes ago, dutch said:

I have lived here a long time and it is more often the places with very odd weird foreign names that have trouble to exist for longer.

Does that mean we should tell the hundreds of Indian, Thai, Italian, Middle Eastern, Ethiopian, Yemenese, Chinese restaurants to change their names?

1 hour ago, bendix said:

Does that mean we should tell the hundreds of Indian, Thai, Italian, Middle Eastern, Ethiopian, Yemenese, Chinese restaurants to change their names?

Of course not. 

It has gotten a bit better over last fivteen years and there are many Chinese and middle Eastern people around to keep their places going.

Twenty years ago it was very normal for me and a friend to be only customer in these weirdly named places.

Ecclesall road will be fine with or without restaurants. It will move along with with the markets of what it needs today.

2 minutes ago, dutch said:

Of course not. 

It has gotten a bit better over last fivteen years and there are many Chinese and middle Eastern people around to keep their places going.

Twenty years ago it was very normal for me and a friend to be only customer in these weirdly named places.

Ecclesall road will be fine with or without restaurants. It will move along with with the markets of what it needs today.

I still don't understand your point  You seem to be saying these Chinese and foreign places survive, despite having a weird name like, uhhhhh, Assams or Sawadee Thai, or that they only survive because there are other foreigners to keep them open.

That is palpable nonsense. These places don't have 'foreign' names.  They have names attuned to their business.  

What should a Thai place call itself?   Ting Tong's Thai Food?  Would that ensure it stays in business better?

Of course, they could stop serving foreign food too - filthy heathen beasts.

The turnover on ecclesall road has always been high, possibly because the high rents mean new business can start to struggle very quickly.

There are several places which have been on eccy road for a long while and it always seems busy. 

High turnover isnt an issue as long as the vacant premises get filled quickly.