Ecclesall Road in trouble

I was walking down Ecclesall Road yesterday and noticed that no fewer than four restaurants have closed in the past few weeks. 

Cats Pyjamas took over from some Italian chain that itself closed a year ago and after only eight months seems to have given up.  

Lucky Fox has been evicted by its landlord. 

Vino has only been around a year or so too. Now that’s gone.  

And bocelli has closed. I expected better from this place as it is run by the guys who own the Mikestone in KI. Nope. Another failure.  

Is this a sign of things to come?

luxurys are all suffering as most people are being sqeezed money wise,only the wealthy have spare cash these days in my opinion

Guest makapaka

Thereve been scores of places open and close on there over the years.

theres loads that’s why.

We tend to only eat out once a week these days but Ecclesall Rd is one of the choices and it still seems as busy as ever. That maybe just at the weekend though, maybe weekdays are suffering more.

Ecclesall Road (and Sharrow Vale)  is also the part of Sheffield where people with predictably unsustainable business ideas want to open. I don’t think many people in Sheffield would have thought a prosecco bar would last long... Things that can just about turn a profit in Leeds or Manchester often can’t in Sheffield. We’re a smaller and poorer city. 

Many people go to kelham island now.

10 hours ago, lfc321 said:

Ecclesall Road (and Sharrow Vale)  is also the part of Sheffield where people with predictably unsustainable business ideas want to open. I don’t think many people in Sheffield would have thought a prosecco bar would last long... Things that can just about turn a profit in Leeds or Manchester often can’t in Sheffield. We’re a smaller and poorer city. 

Hasn't there been a wine bar and prosecco bar (two separate places) on Leopold Street for years?

1 hour ago, Edward Vimto said:

People go to The Wicker now. Eccy Road is finished.

I beg to differ.

31 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Hasn't there been a wine bar and prosecco bar (two separate places) on Leopold Street for years?

Caffe Leopold (prosecco bar) opened in 2014.

Woah, I certainly don’t go to The Wicker. Abbeydale & London Rds all the way for me. Less pretentious, better choice and good value. 

25 minutes ago, Bluegirlblue said:

Woah, I certainly don’t go to The Wicker. Abbeydale & London Rds all the way for me. Less pretentious, better choice and good value. 

Bit of a dump though.