PC networking advice needed

Does anyone know if it is possible to network a windows XP pc to a windows 2000 Pro pc? I have been trying to get them connected, but it seems to be an impossible task!

yep... more than possible...

You probably need to disable excess protocols and use on the TCP/IP one... along with making sure you've got the same network group set for both machines...

It's a bit of an art really..

thanks...

problem is, on both pc's the icon at the bottom of screen has a red cross on it, and says "network cable is unplugged" ... even though the cable is plugged into both pc's

are you directly connecting the 2 pcs? if so, make sure you are using a crossover cable, not a normal cable! they usually say x-over or something liek that on the moulding of the plug.

If it's XP related you'll get some good advice here:

XP Forum

Its hardware related not software related if it hasn't detected a network cable plugged in.

As Grim suggests, check you have a crossover cable.

thanks!

Am on way to pc shop to swap cables... the man at shop said this cable i have would work, but it is not a cross over!

Originally posted by Martin_s

yep... more than possible...

You probably need to disable excess protocols and use on the TCP/IP one... along with making sure you've got the same network group set for both machines...

It's a bit of an art really..

That's not gonna get you very far unless you enable NetBios over TCP/IP though is it...

As for the cable Grim is correct - you either need to use a crossover cable or get yourself a hub/switch but that's overkill if you only intend on using 2 pc's.

Got a cross over cable, and got them networked ok at last! Still dont seem to be able to get them to share adsl connection. :-(

I've managed to connect two xp home running machines sharing my freeserve broadband connection by using a simple usb-2-usb network cable kit from special reserve magazine.

Cost us £27 but works 100%

Hope this works for you too m8!

Give us a shout if you need a hand and I'll try and help you the best I can

If the ADSL connection goes into the XP machine you need to enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). Then follow the wizard instructions to get the other PC connected via that.