"Mother" is no longer a gender specific term??

22 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

A mother will always be the parent who gives birth. A father will always be the parent who got the mother pregnant. A woman born a woman will always be a woman. A man born a man will always be a man. People can "identify" however they wish, and the law can even recognise this self identification, but equally, facts are facts.

It would be quicker if you just said "I AM GAMMON", the caps will help as well.

20 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I think if you stick to the "facts of life" I have to agree with your post.  I believe this proves the point . 

The sex of an individual is determined by a pair of sex chromosomes. Females typically have two of the same kind of sex chromosome (XX), and are called the homogametic sex. Males typically have two different kinds of sex chromosomes (XY), and are called the heterogametic sex.

Angel1.

You've confused sex and gender.

16 hours ago, danot said:

Is a surrogate mother a mother, or just a doner that helped a woman become a mother?

And adoptive mothers, presumably the "person who bore the child" brigade object to these people being called mothers.

23 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

It would be quicker if you just said "I AM GAMMON", the caps will help as well.

Racist.

Is it "gammon" to state reality? I could self identify as a Martian, it doesn't make it so.

1 hour ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Racist.

Is it "gammon" to state reality? I could self identify as a Martian, it doesn't make it so.

1 hour ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Racist.

Is it "gammon" to state reality? I could self identify as a Martian, it doesn't make it 

Men and women may be devided into two gender classes, with our bodies determining gender, but that doesn't mean our bodies define gender. Who we are is what defines us, not what our bodies look like. 

2 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Racist.

If you want to identify as a Martian, you go for it.

Anyone who objects hasn't got enough going on in their lives.

1 minute ago, danot said:

Men and women may be devided into two gender classes, with our bodies determining gender, but that doesn't mean our bodies define gender. Who we are is what defines us, not what our bodies look like. 

What's the difference between determining and defining gender?

Which part, if any, of my post was incorrect? 

"A mother will always be the parent who gives birth. A father will always be the parent who got the mother pregnant. A woman born a woman will always be a woman. A man born a man will always be a man. People can "identify" however they wish, and the law can even recognise this self identification, but equally, facts are facts."

Just now, tinfoilhat said:

If you want to identify as a Martian, you go for it.

Anyone who objects hasn't got enough going on in their lives.

Whether anyone objects or not doesn't affect whether it's true.

Just now, WiseOwl182 said:

What's the difference between determining and defining gender?

Which part, if any, of my post was incorrect? 

"A mother will always be the parent who gives birth. A father will always be the parent who got the mother pregnant. A woman born a woman will always be a woman. A man born a man will always be a man. People can "identify" however they wish, and the law can even recognise this self identification, but equally, facts are facts."

I didn't mean to quote you. Apologies. 

The difference between determining gender and what defines gender is- society determines which of the two gender classes a person belongs to based on their body when  its actually the psyche that  defines which gender, if any, we identify with.  

Edited by danot

8 hours ago, Cyclone said:

The sex of an individual is determined by a pair of sex chromosomes. Females typically have two of the same kind of sex chromosome (XX), and are called the homogametic sex. Males typically have two different kinds of sex chromosomes (XY), and are called the heterogametic sex.

Angel1.

I think not. It was a direct quote from a medical research type article. I can't find the damn thing either. just when I wanted to.

Angel1.

I'm fine with anyones sexuality or gender.

The point has hone way off track.

In this case, the person who identifies as male, but is female, and gave birth to the child, IS its mother.

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I think not. It was a direct quote from a medical research type article. I can't find the damn thing either. just when I wanted to.

Angel1.

That's not the point of confusion.  You've given the definition of sex when that isn't in question.

9 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Racist.

Racist.  Wow, you're pretty confused about this whole thing aren't you.

On 16/02/2019 at 11:04, WiseOwl182 said:

A woman born a woman will always be a woman. A man born a man will always be a man. 

This is pretty much the definition of transphobia.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Racist.  Wow, you're pretty confused about this whole thing aren't you.

Gammon is a racist term.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

This is pretty much the definition of transphobia.

No it isn't. 'Transphobia' (not really the right term since phobia implies fear) is *discrimination* against transgender people.