"Mother" is no longer a gender specific term??

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

It's not a thought crime though is it.  If Nicky used to be Nicholas and you refuse to accept that they are now female, you refer to them with masculine pronouns, you use their old name, etc, that's transphobia.

I think it's a crime in Canada now.

To my mind, a big part of the problem is that our language is insufficiently granular. We have the same word (e.g 'woman') referring to a biological condition AND a social role. When it only meets one criteria and not the oher, all hell breaks loose!

Edited by Waldo

The bill is to protect individuals from discrimination.  So in what way does it create thought crime?  It creates an action crime, which is what most crimes are...

42 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

The bill is to protect individuals from discrimination.  So in what way does it create thought crime?  It creates an action crime, which is what most crimes are...

Its nanny state interference , simple as that . 

I'm not sure how it relates to thought crime.

As I understand it; in Canada, the bill legally compels you to refer to transgender people by their chosen pronoun. Not doing so is considered a hate crime. If an individual considers themselves a woman, but you identify them as biologically male, you must refer to them as a woman.

There wouldn't be a problem of course, if we had seperate sets of words to identify 1) a person's biological gender, and 2) a person's social gender identity.

Edited by Waldo

On 16/02/2019 at 13:01, neworderishere said:

no such thing as gender neutral its a fad a fashion trend, the only genuine  ones that have a right to choose are 

hermaphrodite

Dictionary result for hermaphrodite

/həːˈmafrədʌɪt/
noun
plural noun: hermaphrodites
  1. a person or animal having both male and female sex organs or other sexual characteristics, either abnormally or (in the case of some organisms) as the natural condition.
    synonyms: intersex, androgyne; More

But if they identify with being a specific gender they won't need to choose.  Just out of interest. Why should someone who has both sets of sex organs be more entitled to choose their gender than someone who simply doesn't identify with being a specific gender?

Edited by danot

36 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

Its nanny state interference , simple as that . 

Stopping discrimination is the job of the state.

37 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I'm not sure how it relates to thought crime.

Well, the way you quoted my post that started

"It's not a thought crime though is it."

And answered

"I think it's a crime in Canada now."

We are heading towards a world where the most normal innocuous language is now being regarded as offensive and politically incorrect in the civic space. 

I was responding more to the "If Nicky used to be Nicholas and you refuse to accept that they are now female, you refer to them with masculine pronouns, you use their old name, etc, that's transphobia." part of your post.

Applogies if I'm going off topic, I just find it an interesting topic. Our Nicky could be representative of a range of conditions (e.g. mentally identifies as gender they are not, has had surgery, is hermaphrodite, just likes dressing up as and acting in role of opposite gender to their biological gender, etc etc). On the one hand, you want to address people in such a way that they don't find offensive; on the other hand, we want to use language that accurately describes people, including their biological state.

When a person's biological gender does not match the gender they identify as; what do you do, how do you address that person without feeling you're being dishonest or unkind?

When you say biological gender what you mean is sex.  Gender is a social construct, sex is a biological thing.

8 minutes ago, Hots on said:

We are heading towards a world where the most normal innocuous language is now being regarded as offensive and politically incorrect in the civic space. 

We're heading towards a world where if someone tells you that they identify as female, it's not acceptable to refer to them with male pronouns.  Oh the horror.

22 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

When you say biological gender what you mean is sex.  Gender is a social construct, sex is a biological thing.

We're heading towards a world where if someone tells you that they identify as female, it's not acceptable to refer to them with male pronouns.  Oh the horror.

I can identify as a Jedi Knight , dosnt mean i am one , because i will still be a bloke. 

10 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

15 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Not to worry.  You'll still be allowed to use sarcasm, belittlement and ridule toward them.