Help please my westie's going bald

hi we have a 4 year old westie (pippa) we bought her about 2 yrs ago, she has been fully spayed, because of an infection, (before we got her.) she is still very nervouse even now, but she,s started loosing her hair on her back near to the tail and on her side. the vets given her steroids . and her groomer says she only has a single coat, not a double one.................help

I don't know anything about westies I'm afraid but I've pm-ed you with what I hope will be a helpful link!

try talking to Steve or Greg at peak vets they may be able to help you, they have more time to look at things such as diet or hormonal problems my male dog doesn't have any testorone so hence has a single coat but Peak Vets are so good with him and he has a thick coat now:)

I grew up with a westie who used to have a bald spot in that exact place.

It turned she had an underactive thyroid - when she started taking thyroxine her hair grew back.

My Staffie has had bald streaks running down each side since she was about 3 years old. I've never had any idea what has caused it but she's happy enough and it doesn't stand out too bad with her having really short fur anyway.

I wonder if it is the same thing?

is she flead regulaly?my friends jack russel is allergic to flea bites so even if he gets one flea bite his fur starts falling out round his back legs and tail and bum area.probably isnt that but thought id add to it anyway:hihi:

also have you ruled out mange?check with the vet as it could be this,that would explain the sudden lack of hair.is the area sore or just bold??:thumbsup:

the area on her back is somtimes enflamed, hence the steroids, the vet checked for flea dust and mites, ok tho, aint flead her 4 a while

I also think this is a typical area affected by flea/mite allergy, as pointed out if a dog is allergic to fleas just one bite can have dramatic effects, other than that i really cannot think, has the vet took skin scrapings etc?