Too Old To Drive

Did anyone see the program tonight regarding older drivers, and do you think there's any truth in it? I would say it depends on the individual but who can say?

Just now, Shunter said:

Did anyone see the program tonight regarding older drivers, and do you think there's any truth in it? I would say it depends on the individual but who can say?

It was on the ITV, I don't usually watch that channel,  I find channel4/5 more factual.

8 minutes ago, El Cid said:

It was on the ITV, I don't usually watch that channel,  I find channel4/5 more factual.

Lol, he was asking who watched it, not who didn't.☺️

35 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Channel 5 is owned by "Viacom International" - which is is an American multinational mass media conglomerate, part of MTV and Paramount pictures, also the same parent company as CBS, BET, 5* and 5USA.. 

the parent company, is a 
Privately held theatre chain company "National Amusements Inc" and is fully controlled by Shari Redstone and her family :)

39 minutes ago, El Cid said:

You didnt miss much, knocking nails into elderly drivers and using a dead womans wedding photos as the hammer, made a serious subject look cheap and nasty.

I didn't see it but if it was saying 'all old drivers bad' I'd be much more concerned about all the 14 and 15 year old boys driving about without a clue.

To be fair, the young female presenter of the show was a worse driver than the elderly chaps!!!

Driving gives one a large degree of independence and freedom.

I dread the day that I'll have to give up my licence.

Petemcewan - try not to worry about giving up driving. You are thinking of the event based on how you feel now, not as you might feel in the coming years. If/when you do give up driving it might be acceptable to you. I have two family members, (both in their early seventies) who have given up driving during the past year. They don’t regret it and are happy that they are relieved of the burden and expense, particularly as roads are so busy nowadays.  

I didn’t watch the aforementioned programme but the subject was discussed on Radio 4’s You and Yours a few weeks ago. It was thought provoking, particularly when listeners rang in to tell of their own experience, some of them in relation to very aged parents who were incompetent but flatly refused to stop driving. I gained the impression that the decision to give up driving is perhaps about personality and character of the person.  Some people lack insight and a sense of reality in respect of their reduced abilities. However, perhaps these are in the minority and most of us (hopefully) have sufficient insight to stop driving when the time is right.  Many older drivers are well aware of their limitations and restrict their travel to day time in known, local areas.

Edited by Jomie

On 16 February 2019 at 14:47, Jomie said:

Petemcewan - try not to worry about giving up driving. You are thinking of the event based on how you feel now, not as you might feel in the coming years. 

A very famous English actor now dead, once wrote about dreading giving up driving and sex as he grew older but when it came to it he actually felt great relief when he no longer had to worry about either. 😱😂

On 14/02/2019 at 23:55, Top Cats Hat said:

I didn't see it but if it was saying 'all old drivers bad' I'd be much more concerned about all the 14 and 15 year old boys driving about without a clue.

exactly right.....:thumbsup:

On 16/02/2019 at 14:47, Jomie said:

Petemcewan - try not to worry about giving up driving. You are thinking of the event based on how you feel now, not as you might feel in the coming years. If/when you do give up driving it might be acceptable to you. I have two family members, (both in their early seventies) who have given up driving during the past year. They don’t regret it and are happy that they are relieved of the burden and expense, particularly as roads are so busy nowadays.  

No i did not see that programme but there are far too many ready to condemn the elderly.

I turned 70 last year and at one time i used to find motoring a pleasure..not any more..too much traffic, everyone in a hurry,and most cars seem to have indicators fitted that don't work ???....I walk wherever i can and usually take the bus where i can't...into town etc.....my car is just a shopping trolley really and as i do all my own DIY around the house/garden etc it makes most of its journeys to Wickes/Screwfix and the like,would i miss driving as i get older ?????.I am still quite competent and a lot of elderly people rely on their cars, but i do think there should be a compulsory eye testing...

Edited by euclid