Jump to content


Shamima Begum

nikki-red

We have reopened this thread.

 

The second it goes off topic or resorts to insults suspensions will be issued and it will be locked again.

Also. while we understand this is an emotive subject we will not tolerate any comments wishing harm on people.

 

Last chance.

Message added by nikki-red

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, iansheff said:

And her lawyer is comparing her to a WW1 veteran, God knows what planet he is on but should be taken before the body that is in control of lawyers and charged with bringing them into disrepute. He is saying she was traumatised and comparing her to victims who were in the middle of shell shots in WW1, what an insult to veterans that fought for this country as opposed to her, who went and sided against us.

 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/shamima-begum-lawyer-compares-first-14013785

Just when I thought I'd heard the most over the top, insanely exaggerated nonsense there was to be heard about this story, here comes you with this ridiculousness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have little sympathy for her, except insofar as she was a child when she made this appalling decision.  

 

I'm a conservative, but sometimes when I read Sheffield Forum I have to shake my head at the hatred and bigotry I see here.  And then I remember:  parts of Sheffield are UKIP / BF strongholds and it all makes sense.

 

I'm reading EP Thompson's The Making of the English Working Class at the moment.  It's fascinating, particularly in its treatment of Sheffield as a leading light in the gradual awakening of political self-awareness of the working class in this country, and the role its reformist and liberal groups played in the development of democracy.  Those leaders would turn in their graves today.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bendix said:

I have little sympathy for her, except insofar as she was a child when she made this appalling decision.  

 

I'm a conservative, but sometimes when I read Sheffield Forum I have to shake my head at the hatred and bigotry I see here.  And then I remember:  parts of Sheffield are UKIP / BF strongholds and it all makes sense.

 

I'm reading EP Thompson's The Making of the English Working Class at the moment.  It's fascinating, particularly in its treatment of Sheffield as a leading light in the gradual awakening of political self-awareness of the working class in this country, and the role its reformist and liberal groups played in the development of democracy.  Those leaders would turn in their graves today.

 

You and me both. It's shameful. And yes, they'd be spinning like tops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the end of the day, this stupid girl made stupid decisions when she was a child.   OK, she doesn't come across as particularly likeable now, but let's be sensible here:  she is a barely articulate, barely educated numptie who is trying to deal with the media attention.  She has said some incredibly stupid things.  Having said that, she came across as a typical teenager; idiotic yet full of bravado, and now really aware of how stupid they seem.

 

Sky News this morning had a beautiful and highly articulate former ISIS bride who is now doing good work in the US. The contrast was stark.  

 

However, she is a UK citizen and she has the right to return here. When she is back, she must rightly be interviewed at length by the security services and, likely, monitored by a variety of agencies - social services, police etc - for a while.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Halibut said:

Just when I thought I'd heard the most over the top, insanely exaggerated nonsense there was to be heard about this story, here comes you with this ridiculousness.

You are entitled to your opinion, but for her lawyer to compare her situation to the soldiers that were killed in that horrific conflict is disgusting. Those soldiers had no option to be there and to fight for their lives and country, She on the other hand went there to side with ISIS and produce children, had her children lived, and ISIS not been defeated they would have been brought up to hate the west and our values. Her children would most probably have ended up fighting with ISIS from a young age, maybe even made to be  suicide bombers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, iansheff said:

You are entitled to your opinion, but for her lawyer to compare her situation to the soldiers that were killed in that horrific conflict is disgusting. Those soldiers had no option to be there and to fight for their lives and country, She on the other hand went there to side with ISIS and produce children, had her children lived, and ISIS not been defeated they would have been brought up to hate the west and our values. Her children would most probably have ended up fighting with ISIS from a young age, maybe even made to be  suicide bombers.

I think it's a fair comparison at one level. As a child, she opted to put herself in the middle of a terrible, bloody, war-like environment.  You can argue the toss over her motivations; she went there thinking she was fighting for a good cause, as did they. Both were wrong. But in terms of impact on her it's a valid point.

 

Your last sentence is hyperbolic nonsense.

Edited by bendix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lockdoctor said:

When Shamima Begum left  the  UK with her friends,  the media was full of how they had been groomed.  The only differences that I can  see from what happened in Rochdale and Rotherham  are the purposes for which they were groomed and the fact that the victims in one instance are Muslims and in the other they are not.  The process was the same.

The girls who were groomed and repeatedly raped would prefer that it hadn't happened but Begum has no regrets at all. She obviously stands by her baby's father and his cause. 

Edited by danot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, danot said:

The girls who were groomed and repeatedly raped would prefer that it hadn't happened but Begum has no regrets at all. She obviously stands by her baby's father and his cause. 

She does, and it remains to be seen whether she will stick to that or not. As someone pointed out, she joined a cult. So she currently poses a risk, for sure, and that risk needs to be dealt with, and it's not tenable that her child remain with her, but none of those things prevent her from returning to the UK. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bendix said:

I have little sympathy for her, except insofar as she was a child when she made this appalling decision.  

 

I'm a conservative, but sometimes when I read Sheffield Forum I have to shake my head at the hatred and bigotry I see here.  And then I remember:  parts of Sheffield are UKIP / BF strongholds and it all makes sense.

 

I'm reading EP Thompson's The Making of the English Working Class at the moment.  It's fascinating, particularly in its treatment of Sheffield as a leading light in the gradual awakening of political self-awareness of the working class in this country, and the role its reformist and liberal groups played in the development of democracy.  Those leaders would turn in their graves today.

 

I have read Thomsons book and a lot of it is utter crap.

The English working class are now sick to the teeth with the luvvy twits that have taken Labour over, They are sick of the excuses that come out of many immigrant communities for the behaviour of their youth.

This has resulted in Brexit ,A move that our class saw as way of hitting back at these  so called intellectuals  in the Labour Party and the Capitalist nepotism that gets people into Parliament  due to birth and privilege , this is prevalent in all three major parties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Albert smith said:

I have read Thomsons book and a lot of it is utter crap.

The English working class are now sick to the teeth with the luvvy twits that have taken Labour over, They are sick of the excuses that come out of many immigrant communities for the behaviour of their youth.

This has resulted in Brexit ,A move that our class saw as way of hitting back at these  so called intellectuals  in the Labour Party and the Capitalist nepotism that gets people into Parliament  due to birth and privilege , this is prevalent in all three major parties.

Well he was right in some respects.  A prevailing theme of the working class self-realisation was innate Nationalism and hatred of johnny foreigner. And other races.

 

You're doing a good job proving him to be spot on.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bendix said:

Well he was right in some respects.  A prevailing theme of the working class self-realisation was innate Nationalism and hatred of johnny foreigner. And other races.

 

You're doing a good job proving him to be spot on.

 

 

Well ,I can say that without a shadow of doubt I am not Anti Semitic unlike a few on here and many in Corbyn's inner circle .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Albert smith said:

Well ,I can say that without a shadow of doubt I am not Anti Semitic unlike a few on here and many in Corbyn's inner circle .

Well done you.  It's encouraging to learn that you're intolerant only about one group of semitic people, not all of them.

 

Way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

X