Shamima Begum

nikki-red

We have reopened this thread.

The second it goes off topic or resorts to insults suspensions will be issued and it will be locked again.

Also. while we understand this is an emotive subject we will not tolerate any comments wishing harm on people.

Last chance.

Message added by nikki-red

21 minutes ago, Delayed said:

The country would have offered her help had she made it to a British Embassy. However there is no obligation for the Home Secretary to risk the lives of military personnel going to collect them.

This is true. The foreign office said that they would not send any officials into danger in the camps where IS had a presence. It is a shame about the baby but at the end of the day no one made Shamema go the fault entirely lays with her and the situation she finds herself in now.

Edited by hobinfoot

Bruce Reynolds, who was the key planner behind the £2.6m Great Train Robbery in 1963 was overseas evading capture for many years, we didn't withdraw his citizenship, and he was convicted in the UK of murder in his absence.

He returned to the UK under a false identity, he went on to commit more crimes; should we have attempted to exclude him and the other robbers from the UK? He posed much more of the threat to UK citizens, as he had been convicted of robbery and murder, unlike Begum.

3 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Bruce Reynolds, who was the key planner behind the £2.6m Great Train Robbery in 1963 was overseas evading capture for many years, we didn't withdraw his citizenship, and he was convicted in the UK of murder in his absence.

He returned to the UK under a false identity, he went on to commit more crimes; should we have attempted to exclude him and the other robbers from the UK? He posed much more of the threat to UK citizens, as he had been convicted of robbery and murder, unlike Begum.

Yes we should have

2 hours ago, Halibut said:

This country made no effort at all to help the child. Therefore, part of the fault lies with us. Had the political will been there that child could been given good medical care.

The moment she chose to turn her back on this country and join it's enemy she and any future offspring became no concern of this country. 

If you're that sympathetic to the terrorists then you're quite welcome to join Begum. 

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

How you can equate the great train robbers with terrorist who have murdered thousands is beyond me. 

12 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

How you can equate the great train robbers with terrorist who have murdered thousands is beyond me. 

Out of interest, How many murders has Shamima Begum personally committed?

3 hours ago, danot said:

Three kids, all dead within five years. 

Sajid Javid has simply put the welfare of this nation first. Personally,  I'd expect nothing less, he has a duty to protect the British public and the interests of this nation . 

But, I accept that the baby's death most probably was preventable.  If only the heavily pregnant Begum hadn't been so wrapped-up in her own welfare and dire situation when she was interviewed. if only she had expressed a flicker of remorse, or felt the slightest bit of sympathy for the countless victims slaughtered by Isis (Manchester bombing comparison she made)  rather than telling the UK that she's the one being victimised,  that she's the one who deserves our sympathy. If only her unborn baby had been her number one priority, if only she'd offered to give it up when  Sajid Javid presented the opportunity instead of gambling with its life in order to blackmail Sajid Javid and secure her return to Britain, he might have had something to answer for.  

So it's all become about Sajid Javid, and how he's the hero of the hour. I'm sure the he had no thought of his own prime ministerial ambitions when making the decision.

I just wonder what the reaction would be of people if Britain had a terrorist on our soil that we couldn't deport because their home country didn't want them; or there were human rights violations in their home country?

2 hours ago, hobinfoot said:

This is true. The foreign office said that they would not send any officials into danger in the camps where IS had a presence. It is a shame about the baby but at the end of the day no one made Shamema go the fault entirely lays with her and the situation she finds herself in now.

This is the heart of it that is getting lost. She wasn't knocking on the door. She required someone to come get her in a war zone in a country with no British diplomatic presence. If she had made her way to an embassy or even to a country with active diplomatic relations, it might be a different story. 

Britain was not holding the door shut, it just wasn't going to risk lives to go rescue her. Let us imagine that the government sent a rescue team, and that team was attacked with fatalities resulting. I would like to see Diane Abbott try to explain to the relatives of dead service members why their lives were not worth as much as someone who swore to fight against Britain and all we stand for.  

7 minutes ago, Mister M said:

So it's all become about Sajid Javid, and how he's the hero of the hour. I'm sure the he had no thought of his own prime ministerial ambitions when making the decision.

I just wonder what the reaction would be of people if Britain had a terrorist on our soil that we couldn't deport because their home country didn't want them; or there were human rights violations in their home country?

It's only become about Javid because the opposition has made it so through political point scoring. As far as I'm concerned the home secretary has done what he's paid to do

Edited by Delayed
Spelling

16 minutes ago, K1Machine said:

Out of interest, How many murders has Shamima Begum personally committed?

Probably none herself but she joined IS knowing full well what they were doing and that makes her guilty.

20 minutes ago, Delayed said:

It's only become about Javid because the opposition has made it so through political point scoring. As far as I'm concerned the home secretary has done what he's paid to do

No - it became about because Javid had his eye on the job of the PM, and calculated that his best chance was to play to the gallery. If the boot had been on the other foot and there was a terrorist on our soil that we couldn't deport - do you think Javid wouldn't have made political capital out of it?

4 minutes ago, Mister M said:

No - it became about because Javid had his eye on the job of the PM, and calculated that his best chance was to play to the gallery. If the boot had been on the other foot and there was a terrorist on our soil that we couldn't deport - do you think Javid wouldn't have made political capital out of it?

There are terrorists which we can't deport that remain in the UK.