Shamima Begum

nikki-red

We have reopened this thread.

The second it goes off topic or resorts to insults suspensions will be issued and it will be locked again.

Also. while we understand this is an emotive subject we will not tolerate any comments wishing harm on people.

Last chance.

Message added by nikki-red

2 minutes ago, melthebell said:

I have just read the Governments own information on revoking citizenship, it said a person cannot be made stateless.

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

I have just read the Governments own information on revoking citizenship, it said a person cannot be made stateless.

says that on the bottom of my link

didnt they revoke some from some other ISIS terrorists before though?

6 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Good, lets hope it will be carried out and be for life.

Angel1.

2 minutes ago, melthebell said:

didn't they revoke some from some other ISIS terrorists before though?

I believe that they had dual nationality.

The Home Office may be banking on the possibility that she is eligible for Dutch citizenship as she is married to a Dutch national.

4 minutes ago, melthebell said:

says that on the bottom of my link

didnt they revoke some from some other ISIS terrorists before though?

Yes, that's been put forward on the news. It was said that if someone holds dual citizenship, then legally it's easier to deny them.

She has no remorse  and has only apologised because I think someone has whispered  in her ear that it's  the only way she would be let back home but to hear her talk she is truly throughly  IS and she will bring her son up the same way.

15 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Yes, that's been put forward on the news. It was said that if someone holds dual citizenship, then legally it's easier to deny them.

Someone holding dual citizenship, and someone being eligible to apply for citizenship of a second country, are very different things. Assuming she fits the later, doesn't that suggest the UK governement is making her stateless, and thus acting illegally?

I think she has dual citizenship - Bangladeshi/ UK. She is therefore not stateless if the UK revokes citizenship

4 minutes ago, Lucy-Lastic said:

I think she has dual citizenship - Bangladeshi/ UK. 

Think or know?

Everyone involved say that she has only ever had UK citizenship. Her claim to Dutch citizenship will depend on whether the Dutch government recognise her marriage to a Dutch citizen. Given that they would have almost certainly been married in Syria in ISIS held territory, her marriage licence will probably be of equal legal status to one from a slot machine in Vegas!

I suspect that Sajid Javid is making policy by facebook likes, and is hoping that no one is paying attention when the decision is reversed/overturned at some point in the future.

13 minutes ago, Lucy-Lastic said:

I think she has dual citizenship - Bangladeshi/ UK. She is therefore not stateless if the UK revokes citizenship

Thanks Lucy. Are you sure? They've just discussed this on the bbc news, and gave the impression that she only has one nationality, and so legal complications exist regarding leaving her stateless.