Shamima Begum

nikki-red

We have reopened this thread.

The second it goes off topic or resorts to insults suspensions will be issued and it will be locked again.

Also. while we understand this is an emotive subject we will not tolerate any comments wishing harm on people.

Last chance.

Message added by nikki-red

40 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Because despite the fact that Ms Begum hasn't (to the best of our knowledge) killed anyone, people are suggesting that because she was part of a group who engaged in a fair bit of killing, she somehow forfeits all her rights and society absolves itself of our obligation to her. I was pointing out the apparent hypocrisy that we accept some killers (e.g. our own armed forces) with open arms and decide that others are the devil incarnate.

how do you feel about trump telling all the other countries to take back the isis fighters and prosecute them in the relevant countries 

6 minutes ago, ricgem2002 said:

how do you feel about trump telling all the other countries to take back the isis fighters and prosecute them in the relevant countries 

Then immediately instructed his Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to prevent an Alabama woman who went to Syria from returning to the US.

The guy's an idiot.

48 minutes ago, Halibut said:

No, but it would probably be more morally consistent to condemn Isis and wear a white poppy.

48 minutes ago, Halibut said:

No, but it would probably be more morally consistent to condemn Isis and wear a white poppy.

Thanks for the suggestion but there's no way im ditching the symbolic red poppy which not only symbolises the veterans honoured, but allows me, the wearer, to express my appreciation for them also. It ain't gonna happen. I wear it with pride , and saying so while dissing Isis doesn't trouble my conscience at all. 

Edited by danot

1 hour ago, ricgem2002 said:

I think it's probably the most sensible thing the man has ever said. 

The other option is leaving them all there to their own devices in a broken state to plan god knows what.

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

The other option is leaving them all there to their own devices in a broken state to plan god knows what.

Agreed.

23 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

We're already their enemy?  It's what they'll be planning when they return that worries me. 

Edited by danot

3 hours ago, Halibut said:

You're flat out wrong there, both in Hamburg and in other German cities. Churchill himself spoke of the need to have '''absolutely devastating exterminating attack by very heavy bombers from this country upon the Nazi homeland.'' and Bomber Command were instructed to focus on

destroying the ''morale of the enemy civil population''. There is ample evidence that civilian populations were targeted.

From 'Bomber' Harris ''the aim of the Combined Bomber Offensive...should be unambiguously stated [as] the destruction of German cities, the killing of German workers, and the disruption of civilized life throughout Germany.''

Perhaps those Germans that bombed OUR City tried to miss the civilian areas , Oh wait a minute I seem to remember the Moor , High Street,The Wicker and so on getting flattened along with all those buried under the Marples pub .

Do you and your mate Top Hat remember those bomb sites ,did you and your families have to shelter under ground to hope that the  next bomb falling did not have your name on it.

7 minutes ago, Albert smith said:

Perhaps those Germans that bombed OUR City tried to miss the civilian areas , Oh wait a minute I seem to remember the Moor , High Street,The Wicker and so on getting flattened along with all those buried under the Marples pub .

Do you and your mate Top Hat remember those bomb sites ,did you and your families have to shelter under ground to hope that the  next bomb falling did not have your name on it.

I think it's extraordinarily lame of you to try and play a game of 'they did it too, so that makes it Ok', or 'two wrongs make a right'.

If we followed that line of thought, we'd be chopping of heads and burning people alive before we know where we are.

2 minutes ago, Halibut said:

I think it's extraordinarily lame of you to try and play a game of 'they did it too, so that makes it Ok', or 'two wrongs make a right'.

If we followed that line of thought, we'd be chopping of heads and burning people alive before we know where we are.

Halibut. But didn't you start the "They did it too game" when you outed the RAF?

22 minutes ago, Albert smith said:

I think you are struggling to understand what is being said! 🙄

43 minutes ago, Albert smith said:

You're out of order for having a go at Top Hat in this way. 

54 minutes ago, danot said:

We're already their enemy?  It's what they'll be planning when they return that worries me. 

Of course you're worried, I worry too about about safety and security and the risk of further disasters.

But the alternative decision of not allowing their return could have much worse future consequences,

I watched an ITV interview  with Jack Letts who also wants to return here, he too appeared very disturbed and troubled. Did anyone see it?

Sorry to be so brief on the details, I've tried to post a link from the website  but couldn't do it from this device.