Shamima Begum

nikki-red

We have reopened this thread.

The second it goes off topic or resorts to insults suspensions will be issued and it will be locked again.

Also. while we understand this is an emotive subject we will not tolerate any comments wishing harm on people.

Last chance.

Message added by nikki-red

48 minutes ago, geared said:

How many terrorist organisations did you join when you were 15?? 

You're missing the point.  In one instance, a 15 year old girl is deemend not mature enough to make such decisions.  In another, everyone is keen to condemn her for making decisions at 15.

I don't get the divergence, except for the obvious fact she is a muslim.

51 minutes ago, geared said:

How many terrorist organisations did you join when you were 15?? 

I joined the communist party when I was 15.  It just shows how stupid one can be as a kid.  🙂

37 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

She was brainwashed when she was a minor and has been further brainwashed during her time in Syria.  Someone who has suffered years of being brainwashed is not going show remorse over night. 

Isis online propaganda either appeals to a person or it doesn't. In Begum's case it merely appealed to her mindset, firing up the dark side already within her, so much so she went over there, abandoning Britain to join its cause. She's an extremely dangerous individual

20 minutes ago, bendix said:

You're missing the point.  In one instance, a 15 year old girl is deemend not mature enough to make such decisions.  In another, everyone is keen to condemn her for making decisions at 15.

I joined the communist party when I was 15.  It just shows how stupid one can be as a kid.  🙂

Hmmm... :huh:

... and maybe you're seeing what you want to see?

You're assuming that the people who think a 15 year old is not mature enough to make such a decision are the same people who condemn her for making that decision. :|

Edited by Mr Bloke

27 minutes ago, bendix said:

By that logic you should never be able to prosecute anyone under 16 for any crime whatsoever, yet the news has plenty of stories of young teens carrying knives and stabbing each other.

Were they not mature enough to make such a decisions and so should be let off too???

Who will be paying for the families legal bills when they start the appeal process? 

12 minutes ago, geared said:

By that logic you should never be able to prosecute anyone under 16 for any crime whatsoever, yet the news has plenty of stories of young teens carrying knives and stabbing each other.

Were they not mature enough to make such a decisions and so should be let off too???

I wasn't aware she has committed any crime. Has she been charged with something?  Genuine question.

yes, she is an idiot.  She did a stupid thing.  The correct course of action is to allow her to return to the UK, investigate what happened and what she did there, and then deal with it accordingly.  Dealing with it accordingly might mean any number of things, ranging from using intelligence briefings to help fight ISIS, assess what criminal charges are necessary and/or work on integrating her back into society, if that's the right thing.

A blanket 'revoke citizenship' move might placate the Daily Mail / Sheffield Forum mob mentality, but it does more harm than good in the long run.

8 minutes ago, Shunter said:

Who will be paying for the families legal bills when they start the appeal process? 

Presumably the family.

What a bizarre question! 

I see American and Canadian women who "fled" (left) their countries to join ISIS now want to "come home" as well. 

16 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Presumably the family.

What a bizarre question! 

You cannot answer with a probability, then assume it's a bizarre question!!!

Some people🙄🙄

it seems the lawyer Tasnime Akunjee will be representing her, free of charge. How nice. 

And this is the same lawyer who claimed 9/11 was a controlled explosion!!

Apparently, Begum considers the stripping of her UK citizenship unjust & she may consider applying for Dutch citizenship via her husband. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47301623

I'm sure the liberal Dutch will 'welcome' her & her terrorist husband with open arms?

One point I never realised until I heard it this morning was Begum never actually had a UK passport.  She stole the passport of her elder sister in order to leave the UK then travel across several borders, seemingly without anyone checking, while at the same time the story & pictures of her & her 2 friends was all over the media. 

Edited by Baron99
Amendments

2 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

One point I never realised until I heard it this morning was Begum never actually had a UK passport.  She stole the password her elder sister in order to leave the UK then travel across several borders, seemingly without anyone checking, while at the same time the story & pictures of her & her 2 friends was all over the media. 

We can go against the human rights act refusing her entry into the UK and spend loads of money on solicitors, but she could probably just get back into the country and no one would notice.

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

We can go against the human rights act refusing her entry into the UK and spend loads of money on solicitors, but she could probably just get back into the country and no one would notice.

Agreed. I wouldn't recognise her if I was sat next to her on a bus.