Teenager who sexually abused a child given absolute discharge

58 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

"Never do it again".  So you're calling for an indefinite life sentence are you.  Completely the opposite of the sheriff, way outside the guidelines and not in proportion to sentencing for other far more serious examples of similar crimes.

Calling for longer sentences and more harsh punishment is typically right wing.

Is everyone right wing this morning Cyclone? 

Wouldn't have thought so, but the percentage on this forum seems to be gradually increasing.

----------------------

Edited by woodmally
delete post

1 hour ago, woodmally said:

Right for all those who seem to defend our judicial system and do not think some of the judgements are absurd. Lets look at some examples. 

1) Does everyone remember the violent attack in Mcdonalds by some random bloke with a machete. Yep well how could we allow this to happen people cry. Well simple he could have been stopped sooner. Here is the same guy. 

https://www.europebreakingnews.net/2018/03/sheffield-city-centre-axe-man-charged-with-affray/

2) How about wanting to go safely about your business on a bus.  And then the bus driver is violently attacked. You'd think the attacker would get a severe punishment. Dont be daft again its the UK.  Of course the scroat walked free.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/yob-walks-free-after-sheffield-bus-attack-1-7122436

3) Woman who has 42! seperate court attendances given suspended prison sentence because "she had a hard life". 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime/woman-barred-from-sheffield-leisure-centres-for-stealing-from-lockers-1-7117902

So do people still think the laws are correctly applied?

Yes. 

1.  Possession of something that may be used as a weapon is a wholly different crime and punishment to conducting a deliberate attack with a weapon.   

You cant lock people up on what they "might" do in the future.

2.  That yob did not "walk away" he was given a 12 month sentence.  It was suspended due to mitigating circumstances and involvement from a mental health nurse.  That's the sort of thing that get considered by a court by people who know all the facts.  

3.  She had mitigating circumstances and appropriate punishment including suspended prison, supervision order and banning from locations was given by a suitably qualified Judge after hearing all the facts.  

Whether YOU like it or not.  That is the law.    Different crimes have different punishments.  Charges and sentences are based on what a an offender HAS done not MAY do.   A case is heard on each individual merit.    Different cases have completley different mitigating circumstances.  

If there is a genuine legal reason that a Judge or Bench has made a mistake or misinterpreted then of course there are appeals processes for such things.  After all, they are human beings and falible too.    However, that is for the parties and the lawyers to take up - not ill informed and unqualified internet chatterboxes like us. 

Now, unless you have got several years of law school and experience in dealing with criminal law under your belt and have been sat in front of each and every single one of these hearings with knowledge of both sides of the arguments and sight of all relevant evidence what makes you think that the laws are incorrectly applied?

As I have said before  "I personal dont like it" does not automatically equal "its wrong". 

Edited by ECCOnoob

35 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yes. 

1.  Possession of something that may be used as a weapon is a wholly different crime and punishment to conducting a deliberate attack with a weapon.   

You cant lock people up on what they "might" do in the future.

2.  That yob did not "walk away" he was given a 12 month sentence.  It was suspended due to mitigating circumstances and involvement from a mental health nurse.  That's the sort of thing that get considered by a court by people who know all the facts.  

3.  She had mitigating circumstances and appropriate punishment including suspended prison, supervision order and banning from locations was given by a suitably qualified Judge after hearing all the facts.  

Whether YOU like it or not.  That is the law.    Different crimes have different punishments.  Charges and sentences are based on what a an offender HAS done not MAY do.   A case is heard on each individual merit.    Different cases have completley different mitigating circumstances.  

If there is a genuine legal reason that a Judge or Bench has made a mistake or misinterpreted then of course there are appeals processes for such things.  After all, they are human beings and falible too.    However, that is for the parties and the lawyers to take up - not ill informed and unqualified internet chatterboxes like us. 

Now, unless you have got several years of law school and experience in dealing with criminal law under your belt and have been sat in front of each and every single one of these hearings with knowledge of both sides of the arguments and sight of all relevant evidence what makes you think that the laws are incorrectly applied?

As I have said before  "I personal dont like it" does not automatically equal "its wrong". 

Ok I accept your argument for the first. But the other two. It seems that because they have mental problems they are allowed to get away with it. This woman had 42! let me repeat 42 appearances before the court and still the mental health nurse wrote a letter to get her let off. I'm  sorry but clearly she continues to defy the law and yet gets away with it on mental health grounds. If the other 42 occasions where she is punished and still does it mean that she wont do it again. As for the yob that got a suspended sentence for knocking a bus driver into the middle of next week. Why should we allow him to walk free. 

Too often we think of the poor criminal here "oh they have mental illness" or "oh they have had a bad life" well frankly it should be tough. Lets think of one person in this situation and thats the victim. I dont really care about the criminals human rights because frankly they gave those up when they commited the office or the 42 offence in the case of the woman. 

I dont understand the law and believe me I wish I did understand the logic in allowing the last two to walk free because it is beyond my comprehension. 

3 minutes ago, woodmally said:

Ok I accept your argument for the first. But the other two. It seems that because they have mental problems they are allowed to get away with it. This woman had 42! let me repeat 42 appearances before the court and still the mental health nurse wrote a letter to get her let off. I'm  sorry but clearly she continues to defy the law and yet gets away with it on mental health grounds. If the other 42 occasions where she is punished and still does it mean that she wont do it again. As for the yob that got a suspended sentence for knocking a bus driver into the middle of next week. Why should we allow him to walk free. 

Too often we think of the poor criminal here "oh they have mental illness" or "oh they have had a bad life" well frankly it should be tough. Lets think of one person in this situation and thats the victim. I dont really care about the criminals human rights because frankly they gave those up when they commited the office or the 42 offence in the case of the woman. 

I dont understand the law and believe me I wish I did understand the logic in allowing the last two to walk free because it is beyond my comprehension. 

It seems that you have an issue with people who have mental health problems, and their consequences, rather than the judiciary.

Edited by SnailyBoy

-----------------

Edited by woodmally
delete post

8 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Calling for longer sentences and more harsh punishment is typically right wing.

People can either act for the good of society or act against society.

Letting people off who act to the detriment of society, in this case a little girl, deserve punishment.

If you think taking a softly softly approach against evil people is left wing, then you've got a distorted view of what the world needs.

1 hour ago, woodview said:

People can either act for the good of society or act against society.

Letting people off who act to the detriment of society, in this case a little girl, deserve punishment.

If you think taking a softly softly approach against evil people is left wing, then you've got a distorted view of what the world needs.

There are three purposes to jailing people.

Punishment, protection and rehabilitation.  You appear to be overly focussed on just one of them.

You've graduated to using the emotive language here of "evil people" now to describe someone that the Sheriff (actually involved in the case intimately) calls instead naeve.  How have you determined that they are in fact evil and not as the Sheriff described?

Oh, and longer and harsher sentences don't benefit society in the long run, it's nothing to do with "letting people off" and all to do with achieving the best outcome for society.  Using evidence instead of knee jerk emotive responses.

Edited by Cyclone

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

There are three purposes to jailing people.

Punishment, protection and rehabilitation.  You appear to be overly focussed on just one of them.

You've graduated to using the emotive language here of "evil people" now to describe someone that the Sheriff (actually involved in the case intimately) calls instead naeve.  How have you determined that they are in fact evil and not as the Sheriff described?

Oh, and longer and harsher sentences don't benefit society in the long run, it's nothing to do with "letting people off" and all to do with achieving the best outcome for society.  Using evidence instead of knee jerk emotive responses.

Longer and harsher than no sentence??

Cba discussing with an apologist any more, you have a very different set of priorities to most right thinking people.

Im sure with all the media, she will be brought home and housed at our expense, how many of you have walked past homeless people without a thought, do they not deserve the same consideration.

13 minutes ago, phil752 said:

Im sure with all the media, she will be brought home and housed at our expense, how many of you have walked past homeless people without a thought, do they not deserve the same consideration.

Homeless people do get housed at our expense.   There is a wealth of services, organisations and charities that provide for them.

Whether or not they can or choose to engage with said services is another matter.   Someone being on the streets is not a black and white issue and there may be 1001 other reasons beyond the simplistic position of "not having a home"

In any event it has chuff all to do with the topic under discussion or even the right thread!

Edited by ECCOnoob