Teenager who sexually abused a child given absolute discharge

12 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

First of all it was a Sheriff not a judge and secondly how come you, who had probably never heard of the case until a couple of hours ago, suddenly know more about this case than the judge who has been involved the whole way through this case? 

The thing you are using is called the internet and it was on the news .

1 minute ago, lottiecass said:

I make my opinion on what was published, you say its pathetic, ask the 6yr olds parents who they agree with.

So based on a published article with absolutely no context you jump to the 'opinion' that the judge should be sacked and was naive.   Hmmm, very rational.

As for asking the parents  - why would I ?    What they think is totally irrelvant.   They have a  blindingly obvious partiality and thus will give no meaningful response.

Justice is achieved with an impartial  assessment of BOTH sides of the case.      "I dont agree" and "I dont like" and "i'm upset" do not automatically deem a Judgment wrong.  

They can appeal and Im sure they will on advice of those who actually have knowledge of the circumstances not a load of reactionary keyboard warriors throwing around 1001 uninformed "opinions" 

8 minutes ago, woodview said:

But all of a sudden, because a paedophile has been released scot free, the justice system cant be questioned. How come????

That depends on your definition of 'scot free'. He has been convicted of a sexual offence and has had his name in most of the Scottish newspapers.

Given that Lottiecass won't answer maybe you could tell us how you know as much about the case as the Sheriff who ruled in it?

Just now, ECCOnoob said:

So based on a published article with absolutely no context you jump to the 'opinion' that the judge should be sacked and was naive.   Hmmm, very rational.

As for asking the parents  - why would I ?    What they think is totally irrelvant.   They have a  blindingly obvious partiality and thus will give no meaningful response.

Justice is achieved with an impartial  assessment of BOTH sides of the case.      "I dont agree" and "I dont like" and "i'm upset" do not automatically deem a Judgment wrong.  

They can appeal and Im sure they will on advice of those who actually have knowledge of the circumstances not a load of reactionary keyboard warriors throwing around 1001 uninformed "opinions" 

If this was your 6yr old would you be satisfied with the result? this wasn't a one off, it was over a 2yr span.

Just now, Top Cats Hat said:

That depends on your definition of 'scot free'. He has been convicted of a sexual offence and has had his name in most of the Scottish newspapers.

Given that Lottiecass won't answer maybe you could tell us how you know as much about the case as the Sheriff who ruled in it?

Oh yes lottie has.

3 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I don't. But, it's clearly reported he commited the crime. Could you offer a suggestion as to why a 17/18 year old who abused a six year old over 2 years shouldn't receive a punishment?

Why are you so defencive of someone who did such a vile crime?

3 minutes ago, woodview said:

Could you offer a suggestion as to why a 17/18 year old who abused a six year old over 2 years shouldn't receive a punishment?

First of all he was 15, not 17 or 18 and secondly I have no idea of the circumstances other than what was reported in the paper so unlike others who also have no idea of the circumstances, I shall leave that decision to those in a much better position to make it.

7 minutes ago, lottiecass said:

If this was your 6yr old would you be satisfied with the result? this wasn't a one off, it was over a 2yr span.

Oh yes lottie has.

What has that got to do with anything?  

Emotional reactions are irrelevant when determining an impartial judgment based on facts and evidence presented in a case.

1 minute ago, Top Cats Hat said:

First of all he was 15, not 17 or 18 and secondly I have no idea of the circumstances other than what was reported in the paper so unlike others who also have no idea of the circumstances, I shall leave that decision to those in a much better position to make it.

He WAS 15 two years ago. Hes now studying dentistry.

So, you have no idea, but feel perfectly comfortable he has walked away, even though it isn't disputed he sexually abused a six year old.

Are you equally confident in ALL judgements?

2 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Emotional reactions are irrelevant when determining an impartial judgment based on facts and evidence presented in a case.

Not only irrelevant but counterproductive.

If the pitchfork and flaming torches brigade got their way and everybody got a life sentence for every crime regardless of degree, the judicial system would completely collapse as any form of deterrant for most crime, particularly minor crime as there would be no ceiling to prevent worse offending.

Ive read everything I can find about this case. Granted its whats been published online and not any official documents but all I can say is as the Dad of a child who has suffered a sexual assault on one occasion, seeing what that one assault has done to her mental well being I dare not even imagine  what that poor little girl has gone through for 2 years or what damage those two years have done to her in the long term.

For this "man" to essentially get away with it is disgusting.

3 minutes ago, K1Machine said:

Ive read everything I can find about this case. ..........or what damage those two years have done to her in the long term.

Clearly you haven't looked hard enough or you would have seen the psychologists reports which stated that the victim appeared to have suffered no injury or long lasting effects.

I'm sorry but I would rather these decisions were made by qualified professionals in possession of all the facts, than shouty people on facebook any day of the week!

For all those frothing at the mouth maybe have a read of something without media bais and glossy side adverts..

http://www.scotland-judiciary.org.uk/8/2121/PF-v-Christopher-Daniel

I will pick out a few key words

"...she would sit on his knee..."

"... very young and immature ..."

".... complainer’s parents agreed not to contact the police at that time understanding that the accused was to obtain professional help ..."

".... inappropriate curiosity of an emotionally naive teenager rather than for the purpose of sexual gratification ..."

".... no attempt to escalate the nature of the offending ...."

"... complainer’s family held no ill will against the accused’s family. They indicated in their evidence that they were not seeking any form of retribution...."

As some else has pointed out several pages  ago there are far far more to this than is being said in the papers.   The trial was three days.   That's three days of evidence, submissions, arguments, cross examination and deliberating to make an INFORMED JUDGMENT.

That's what has happened and that's what Justice is supposed to be about.

If they victim's family really are so distraught and angry as the press are making out then there are judicial processes available to them for that very purpose.