Teenager who sexually abused a child given absolute discharge

Thousands of people have signed a petition calling for a review of the decision to let a teenager who sexually abused a child walk away from court with no criminal record.

Christopher Daniel abused the six-year-old girl for two years, yet was given an absolute discharge by a part-time sheriff who blamed immaturity and social awkwardness for this behaviour.

Sheriff Gerard Sinclair's reasoning behind his decision was released in a highly unusual move on Thursday.

It showed he also placed importance on the damage a conviction could do to Daniel's future career as a dentist.

The move has caused a furious backlash from the child's family and the thousands who put their name to the petition within hours of its launch.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/thousands-sign-petition-immature-child-13945538?fbclid=IwAR1_cEOrWhXDOTZ81yPC1G7BO_aqY0J9eGE5mSmjf94__4LOvmtm_q0Mr5Y

If it was your child, would you agree with  an absolute discharge. This case shows what is wrong with the United Kingdom, snowflakes doing a job they are not up to.

Angel1.

As with all these cases there is much that is not released into the public domain so however many people sign the petition, I doubt whether anyone other than the sheriff, the various legal advisors and those doing the pychological or social reports for the court have any real idea of what lies behind the decision.

If he was to offend again the **** would really hit the fan.

28 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Thousands of people have signed a petition calling for a review of the decision to let a teenager who sexually abused a child walk away from court with no criminal record.

Christopher Daniel abused the six-year-old girl for two years, yet was given an absolute discharge by a part-time sheriff who blamed immaturity and social awkwardness for this behaviour.

Sheriff Gerard Sinclair's reasoning behind his decision was released in a highly unusual move on Thursday.

It showed he also placed importance on the damage a conviction could do to Daniel's future career as a dentist.

The move has caused a furious backlash from the child's family and the thousands who put their name to the petition within hours of its launch.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/thousands-sign-petition-immature-child-13945538?fbclid=IwAR1_cEOrWhXDOTZ81yPC1G7BO_aqY0J9eGE5mSmjf94__4LOvmtm_q0Mr5Y

If it was your child, would you agree with  an absolute discharge. This case shows what is wrong with the United Kingdom, snowflakes doing a job they are not up to.

Angel1.

Im sure the apologists will be defending this animal  and claiming 

he had a bad childhood ,and it wasnt his fault.

5 minutes ago, Hots on said:

If he was to offend again the **** would really hit the fan.

Leaving the court with no criminal record, do you think that he is more or less likely to reoffend?

The victim has been 'punished' again,  if he pursues a career in dentristry I'd choose another dentist for my child

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Leaving the court with no criminal record, do you think that he is more or less likely to reoffend?

I'd say more. He walked away with zero consequences for his actions this time, he may think he can get away with it again. 

For me I'd be looking very closely into the legal professional that made the decision. . . 

15 minutes ago, Resident said:

I'd say more. He walked away with zero consequences for his actions this time, he may think he can get away with it again. 

For me I'd be looking very closely into the legal professional that made the decision. . . 

Really?

He hasn't got away with it, he has been caught, named and shamed and has a criminal conviction.

I would say that he knows that he has had a result and will have the book thrown at him if he reoffends!

3 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Really?

He hasn't got away with it, he has been caught, named and shamed and has a criminal conviction.

I would say that he knows that he has had a result and will have the book thrown at him if he reoffends!

But he hasn't got a conviction has he. No record - No conviction. 

The decision is a complete mockery of the intention of the justice system. I say intention because lets face it, the justice system in it's current operation hasn't been fit for purpose for a long time. 

How many times in the news do you hear that someone who has committed an act that lead to serious harm and or death gets a few months inside yet someone else commits a relatively minor offence in comparison and gets years

Oh how I love threads like this.

Thousands of people who know sod all about the facts of the case, evidence, witness testimony, submissions, cross examination arguments or mitigation all chitter chattering away and claiming to know better than a fully qualified Judge who was actually there hearing it as presented in front of him. 

Funny how those who bang on about "Justice" only seem to care when it favours their one specific side.  

1 minute ago, Resident said:

But he hasn't got a conviction has he. No record - No conviction. 

And you know that how? Because the OP said so?

That's the problem with these dog whistle reactionary petitions. Everyone gets very excited and starts sharing it on their facebooks getting all worked up and annoyed in the process without thinking "Hang on a minute, is any of this this actually true?"

AN ABSOLUTE DISCHARGE IS A CRIMINAL CONVICTION AND THE OFFENDER WILL HAVE A CRIMINAL RECORD!

Even if a million people sign the petition, it will still not make it not a criminal conviction.  🙄