Problem Neighbour

Is moving just not an option? I lived in a housing association flat for nearly a year and it was awful. The guy next door often brought in stray cats full of fleas, which ended up infesting the entire building. No one cared, I moved out as soon as I saved up for the deposit and rent, never been happier.

When I was 18 and moving out the first time, in a different city, I had a decent council flat for around £41 a week in rent and no social issues. I wouldn't ever bother with them anymore though.

Unfortunately were not in the finical situation to able to move at present.  What an awful situation to have been left that's the issue no one seems to care always seem to be to busy passing the book to one department to the next and allowing situations to get out of control. 

7 hours ago, OryxBeisa said:

Is moving just not an option? 

Too often in situations like this the solution is seen as the victim moving and the person causing the trouble left in place to then go on causing hardship for the next neighbour and nothing ever gets sorted out.

I know at least two victims of neighbour harassment in Sheffield where the only response from Sheffield Homes is "The tenant has a secure tenancy and there is little we can do. Have you thought about moving?"

That is an appalling way for a landlord to deal with antisocial behaviour, even more so given the council claims to have a zero tolerance to antisocial behaviour.

i agree with all thats been said,also you will have a patch officer that SCC SPENT THOUSANDS TO EMPLOY THEM,ask for a patch officer visit as they are employed to sort out these council tennant issues,also if a council tennant you pay a levy each week to your tennants association,find out who that person or people are that you pay although not a huge amount to help in these situations,and contact your mp as someone said,hope that helps

8 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Too often in situations like this the solution is seen as the victim moving and the person causing the trouble left in place to then go on causing hardship for the next neighbour and nothing ever gets sorted out.

I know at least two victims of neighbour harassment in Sheffield where the only response from Sheffield Homes is "The tenant has a secure tenancy and there is little we can do. Have you thought about moving?"

That is an appalling way for a landlord to deal with antisocial behaviour, even more so given the council claims to have a zero tolerance to antisocial behaviour.

I agree, but the issue with council and housing association housing is that you have to seriously go out of your way to get evicted. Renting privately, my landlord will evict people if they step out of line too often. I remember the flat next door would have someone come round making a racket. The third complaint was the last and they were out; I wasn't even the one complaining because I barely noticed it, but the rules are far stricter (and better IMO).

In the housing association place, living next door to the fleabag and the couple above me smashing the place up every weekend, I gave up bothering to do anything. I would seriously move; just go on Gumtree, I've never been happier after I left.

12 minutes ago, OryxBeisa said:

I agree, but the issue with council and housing association housing is that you have to seriously go out of your way to get evicted. Renting privately, my landlord will evict people if they step out of line too often. 

Good point and this is something that really needs looking at.

The difference in security of tenure between private and public housing is great cause for concern. As you say, private residents can be evicted for wearing the wrong colour jumper but council tenants are almost impossible to shift (except for non payment of rent, which says a lot about the priorities of our legal system).

I know someone whose neighbour has been given numerous harassment warnings by the police, numerous housing cautions from Sheffield Homes and now been convicted for harassment twice and criminal damage once, all over a fifteen year period. The council say that there is very little they can do as the tenant has a secure tenancy and have suggested that the victim moves out.

The neighbour is fully aware that it is virtually impossible for him to be evicted and therefore has absolutely no incentive to stop his offending behaviour. A measure of how unsatisfactory this situation is, is that when the victim told his local Safer Neighbourhood Team officer that the council had decided not to take any action after the neighbour's third conviction, she replied 'It's a shame that someone does't arrange to give him a good beating!'

This isn't The Sweeney in 1975, it is Sheffield in 2019 and for a police officer to make a comment like that says to me that something really needs to be done.

Its sad that some people have to move when theirs neighbours are causing problems and getting away with it. My neighbours rent from a private landlord, the house is absolutely filthy and the front and back gardens are piled high with rubbish.  We also have a problem with pests.  Their landlord is not bothered how they live as long as they pay their rent.  I have considered moving away as it looks a disgrace.  I am a council tenant and I keep my home well maintained and the gardens tidy and free from rubbish.  There's no reason why my neighbours can't maintain their house and garden, they are young and have no health problems, it's just laziness. 

why dont you contact the housing and theres a man who deals with exactly your  problem,his job is to sort out problem familys ect that live in private housing,that live next or near to council tennants,we had one near me and he sorted it,just ring them.

I wasn't aware  that the council could intervene if it was a private property but thanks for the info, I will contact them.

Edited by katekate

14 minutes ago, katekate said:

I wasn't aware  that the council could intervene if it was a private property but thanks for the info, I will contact them.

I'm not sure but I think that unlike the council, private landlords are legally responsible for the behaviour of their tenants if it can be demonstrated that they were aware of their tenants' behaviour but chose to do nothing about it.

If so, the threat of legal action for damages should be enough to get them to pull their finger out.

13 minutes ago, katekate said:

Just be prepared for a long process Kate.

I'm 4 years in and it's still being looked into. It starts to wear very thin when my sleep/wake cycle is dictated by others but up to now the council have been little help.

I really hope you, and others,  have a more speedy resolution.