Problem Neighbour

19 minutes ago, iansheff said:

surely  the council have a duty of care to tenants. 

They do but a standard response is that they no longer have the resources to carry out that duty of care.

Sadly, to get them to do anything you need to escalate things to the point where it is easier for them to do something than to ignore it. The first step is to write to the Director of Housing pointing out that the Council not only has a duty of care to their tenants but also to the neighbours of that tenant. Give her two weeks to respond and copy the letter to both your councillor and your MP. It wouldn't do any harm to mention the Sheffield Star as well as the Council hate The Star and The Star hates the Council and is always on the lookout for a good story to bash the council with.

The Director of Housing is Janet Sharpe and her email is janet.sharpe@sheffield.gov.uk

Obviously your MP and councillor will depend on where you live.

Thank you Tops cats hat, for your advised I'm gonna email asap and get in touch with my local councillor also.  

Weve been in the same situation keeping a book detailing all of the information on and off since we moved in, seems to have been one thing after another.   (if the council had advised us that the neighbour had previously done this to the previous tenants I personally would haven't taken the property).  

wade, you could also cc Councillor Jim Steinke into your email.   He is the current cabinet member for housing.  jim.steinke@sheffield.gov.uk 

Good luck.

Thank you for everyones advice.  I have contact everyone via Email. 

There is an old, lengthy thread on this subject which I earmarked and could add to Top Cats Hat advice.

The local councillor is contacting the council and I've also had a response from the director of housing who's arranging for a senior manager for it to be looked at has a priority.   On a personal note I do think the council are to blame for the situation in regards to the disrepair within the neighbouring property, but at the same I am furious that they've allowed it continue over this amount years and its now my family and myself whom are paying the price for their lack of duty towards all tenants.   

5 minutes ago, wade w said:

The local councillor is contacting the council and I've also had a response from the director of housing who's arranging for a senior manager for it to be looked at has a priority.   On a personal note I do think the council are to blame for the situation in regards to the disrepair within the neighbouring property, but at the same I am furious that they've allowed it continue over this amount years and its now my family and myself whom are paying the price for their lack of duty towards all tenants.   

It may be worth taking some legal advice on this matter.

If this has been going on for nine years, a previous tenant has moved out because of the neighbour's behaviour and the council has been aware of the situation they may well be legally liable for any losses you have suffered.

I don't know what records you have but senior managers at the council tend to play down these situation and have even been known to lie about cases particularly when it comes to what they do or don't know about the tenant's behaviour.

If you have made three or more reports to the police or council in the past six months you can also use something called a 'community trigger' which forces the agencies to look at their response to your case. Unfortunately community triggers have a very poor reputation, has no input from the victim after the intitial report and it is carried out by the very people being complained about. Something like 90%+ of community triggers report that the various agencies have acted correctly in dealing with the matter, regardless of the situation.

On 12/02/2019 at 15:31, rachgee said:

Good luck , we’ve been in a similar situation for 3 years , Boise disturbance , vermin in gardens , openly drug dealing , obvious safeguarding issues with elderly occupant and other criminal activity. Refusal of entry to the property.

All they wanted us to do was fill in a book detailing the information , nothing done we all

could be worse ........ it could be noise disturbance 

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:38, wade w said:

At present its mice we've found numerous holes on internal walls we've blocked them off the best we can but weve now got the mice with the floorboards etc.    The housing officer I spoke to last week was aware of the situation within their property.  

All we have been advised is that they are aware of the situation within the property next door, the council have also paid for environmental health to come to our property.   

May I ask if you are a council tenant or private?

We had the same issues with noise but over the past few years that not been an issue, the information books are an nightmare to fill in. Were in the process of trying to find family members of the previous family that lived at the property due to what other neighbours have told us.   Got to say I would take the noise disturbance back over the vermin issue we are currently facing.  

8 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

could be worse ........ it could be noise disturbance 

1 minute ago, speedy69 said:

May I ask if you are a council tenant or private?

Im a council tenant. 

15 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It may be worth taking some legal advice on this matter.

If this has been going on for nine years, a previous tenant has moved out because of the neighbour's behaviour and the council has been aware of the situation they may well be legally liable for any losses you have suffered.

I don't know what records you have but senior managers at the council tend to play down these situation and have even been known to lie about cases particularly when it comes to what they do or don't know about the tenant's behaviour.

If you have made three or more reports to the police or council in the past six months you can also use something called a 'community trigger' which forces the agencies to look at their response to your case. Unfortunately community triggers have a very poor reputation, has no input from the victim after the intitial report and it is carried out by the very people being complained about. Something like 90%+ of community triggers report that the various agencies have acted correctly in dealing with the matter, regardless of the situation.

Thank you for all of your advise, its been a huge help thanks again. 

Could anyone point me the direction of a good housing solicitor as the situation within my property as the situation seems to be getting far worst.