Best place to find a web site developer ??

What is the best way to find website developers now ?

I use to use a freelance site but its become full of agency, unskilled  people trying to make some quick money and foreign developers.

lots of these Shopify / Wix type ones are easy to self build, depends how involved it needs to be.

I was thinking of  something like wordpress. 

I can do a lot of work myself but I think it would be better to pay someone to get the job done properly and on time.

Paying someone to do it, wholly depends on what you want done, how fast, and your budget...

a 'website' can be anything from £50 for a basic single page,  up to ~£3k -or more- for a fully secure, user account based, GDPR compliant, secure shopping cart, ecommerce site..

If you would like, drop me a PM and we can discuss what you're after and go from there :)

agree with Ghozer - you probably need to be clear on what exactly you want. It's in the interests of freelancers to have endless "strategy calls" and the like.

Wordpress is easy enough if you have a decent theme. 

Anything else - like integrations - best to get the pros in. There are enough decent folk on here.

Best way is by recommendation - do you know someone who already has a wordpress site? Ask them, or if you have an accountant ask him/her - they often have freelancers and designers on their books.

I heard about a firm in Sheffield from a neighbour, who's son had just qualified on leaving University having studied computer studies/web design, and been offered jobs at several places computer/web design firms in Sheffield.  The one he'd chosen was a firm called Evoluted - who, in his opinion, were one of the best in Sheffield.  I've used them for my business website.  They were very good, but also quite expensive.  

As someone has said, it depends what you want your website to do.  Is it just a business card online?  i.e. a place where people can find you, find out a little bit about what you do, and how to contact you?  Or do you want it to be much more than that?  Do you want to have interactive features, demonstrating your work, like video and audio, or maybe even open it up for others to comment and post stuff and link it to other sites?  

My wife set up a business last year.  I just purchased an email domain and website builder package.  This is a cheap way of doing it.  They give you all the templates you need to build it in Wordpress and it's actually not difficult at all.  My wife is no techie and neither his her business partner, but between them they worked it out themselves.  They only need a basic website, like a business card online, and so this is what they did.