Great British Spring Clean in Sheffield

On 12/02/2019 at 10:26, philyyy said:

The Keep Britain Tidy campaign is running their annual Spring Clean from the 22nd of March to the 23rd of April 2019 and as part of The Sheffield Litter Pickers group we are trying to piggy back onto this and ask everyone to pick at least 20 pieces of litter during that time. Ideally 20 pieces every day, as there's more than enough to go round. Please join in, share etc. Before anyone says it's the council's job I agree but it isn't getting done and some areas in this city are a disgrace. If we wait for the council we might drown in it.

https://www.keepbritaintidy.org/get-involved/support-our-campaigns/great-british-spring-clean

Just 11 days to the big day. Chance for local involvement, pride in your area and general do-gooding.

Hope it isn't covered in snow,! though snow's not quite as bad as litter everywhere and Filthy neighbourhoods.

I would start at Walkley, not generally a litter hot spot but I think every bin in the area has blown over today, looks a mess.

We had the blue bins emptied today, or rather the gales emptied them. Think I was the only one on the estate to secure a bin by a simple loop of cord from the handle to my gatepost- and the only bin on the estate to be left unemptied! Just a loop of cord which took 3 secs to remove. Makes one wonder why bother. Spring clean Sheffield!

Edited by carosio

I do think this is a really good idea,i regularly pick litter up from the verge in front of our house.The problem is there is a junior school 50mts from us ,we get all the soft drink cartons with straws thrown down on a daily basis,so no education there !! most of the roma people i see dont give a stuff,for example ,last week walking home a couple of pram pushing young mums across from me stopped because a child that was in tow dropped a plastic bottle of pop.The mum walked back to the child,slapped it round the head,emptied what was left then threw the bottle over a garden fence !!!!! they were no more than ten feet from a corner waste bin. How are you going to educate people like that.

On 12/02/2019 at 10:26, philyyy said:

The Keep Britain Tidy campaign is running their annual Spring Clean from the 22nd of March to the 23rd of April 2019 and as part of The Sheffield Litter Pickers group we are trying to piggy back onto this and ask everyone to pick at least 20 pieces of litter during that time. Ideally 20 pieces every day, as there's more than enough to go round. Please join in, share etc. Before anyone says it's the council's job I agree but it isn't getting done and some areas in this city are a disgrace. If we wait for the council we might drown in it.

https://www.keepbritaintidy.org/get-involved/support-our-campaigns/great-british-spring-clean

Today's the day to start Spring cleaning/Litter picking/re-use, recycling & so on.

All goes together in that sense, doesn't it...makes for common sense, clean community....and NO, we don't want our City to be a disgrace....so it's up to us to do summat about it.