Gordon Banks RIP

2 hours ago, iansheff said:

Sad to see that one of the worlds greatest goalkeepers has passed away aged 81.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47196017

Maybe this ought to be in Sheffield football not general sports, over to you Mods.

Great keeper and a gentleman too!, R.I.P Gordon

Sad news indeed, my grandmother was a big friend of his mother's. His dad was the local bookie in Catcliffe when I was young and living there. Met him a few times in the days before he was famous and playing for Chesterfield. Not long after the 1966 World Cup win, Lol Banks, his dad, brought his winners medal into the Three Magpies in Brinsworth on a Sunday lunchtime session and passed it around the pub. RIP Gordon, you were a great goalie and a great guy.

Edited by Ontarian1981

R.I. P.  Gordon.  Born in Sheffield too. 

I heard so many lovely tributes expressed about him on the radio earlier. 

Great keeper - fantastic positional sense, quick feet for a big fella, could dive full length on both sides whether the shot was on the ground or in the top corner, and nigh on telescopic arms. Always seemed to save some of his best displays for when he played in Sheffield.

RIP Gordon, another childhood / teenage hero gone - but never forgotten.

Edited by Longcol

There's an old thread about him some  may not have seen. Gordon Banks Birthplace 

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/104126-gordon-banks-birthplace/I

I particularly noticed post 30 where Hillsbro having done some research and informed Gordon received such a polite reply of appreciation. 

I knew he was popular world wide and was aware of his achievements on the pitch, but what I have heard and read about him today has increased my admiration and respect for him. 

Edited by janie48
Spelling mistake noticed

6 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Sad news indeed, my grandmother was a big friend of his mother's. His dad was the local bookie in Catcliffe when I was young and living there. Met him a few times in the days before he was famous and playing for Chesterfield. Not long after the 1966 World Cup win, Lol Banks, his dad, brought his winners medal into the Three Magpies in Brinsworth on a Sunday lunchtime session and passed it around the pub. RIP Gordon, you were a great goalie and a great guy.

I believe Gordon (along with other WC winning England players) sold his winners medal and his England caps when times got tough financially, imagine that today ? RIP Gordon.

On 12/02/2019 at 22:55, janie48 said:

There's an old thread about him some  may not have seen. Gordon Banks Birthplace 

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/104126-gordon-banks-birthplace/I

I particularly noticed post 30 where Hillsbro having done some research and informed Gordon received such a polite reply of appreciation. 

I knew he was popular world wide and was aware of his achievements on the pitch, but what I have heard and read about him today has increased my admiration and respect for him. 

Seems to be a bit of confusion as to where he was born according to the old link above. 

Wikipedia now states Abbeydale but nothing more specific?  Perhaps he was born in a property in Abbeydale or in the nearby Nether Edge hospital? 

If he did spend the first few years of his life in Abbeydale & the property still exists, I reckon that one of the blue plaques should be put up in recognition? 

Edited by Baron99

13 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Seems to be a bit of confusion as to where he was born according to the old link above. 

Wikipedia now states Abbeydale but nothing more specific?  Perhaps he was born in a property in Abbeydale or in the nearby Nether Edge hospital? 

If he did spend the first few years of his life in Abbeydale & the property still exists, I reckon that one of the blue plaques should be put up in recognition? 

The thread link explains the matter of confusion concerning the exact part of Sheffield where Gordon was born, it mentioned that it was a street off Abbeydale Road that is no longer standing. It would appear that Gordon's earliest memory is of his life spent in Tinsley. View the other thread again. 

Incidentally, I thought of him yesterday as I passed the walk-of- fame area outside the Town Hall and stopped to look at the lovely bouquets of flowers that had been laid at Gordon's plaque there.

Edited by janie48