is it to easy to do the time or to easy to get away with it

judging by the recent crimes in and around Sheffield, seemly the criminals have the upper hand. 

i just wonder what the reason is, no fear or prison or no fear of being caught(due to lack of coppers)

mmmmmmmmmm?

What evidence are you basing this on?  

7 hours ago, prolific said:

judging by the recent crimes in and around Sheffield, seemly the criminals have the upper hand. 

i just wonder what the reason is, no fear or prison or no fear of being caught(due to lack of coppers)

mmmmmmmmmm?

I dispute the idea that 'criminals have the upper hand', but of the two options you offer, no fear of getting caught is by far the greater problem than fear of prison. This is why people who claim that prisons are too cushy and should be even more punitive and unpleasant are idiots.

I’d make all prisons in to ones like the black eagle one in Russia 

When offenders are caught the amount of effort to prove anything is often insurmountable, even in as far as the victim dropping charges or refusing to comment.

We had a cop car chase near us a month or two back - the offender had "stolen" a car after assaulting his girlfriend,then with no license  and insurance and cocaine and alcohol in his system led the police a merry dance. 4 cop cars wasted their time because the girlfriend "loves him" and now won't press charges for assault,she only allegedly reported the car theft so that she wouldn't found guilty of allowing him to take it. None of that comes out in court or police enquiries but usually does over a pint or two.

7 hours ago, rudds1 said:

I’d make all prisons in to ones like the black eagle one in Russia 

Wouldn't help. It's a foolish suggestion.

58 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Wouldn't help. It's a foolish suggestion.

I don't agree that all prisons should be like that. It is an opinion shared by many, calling it foolish doesn't say much for your people skills or ability to convince by sensible discussion of ideas.

1 minute ago, woodview said:

I don't agree that all prisons should be like that. It is an opinion shared by many, calling it foolish doesn't say much for your people skills or ability to convince by sensible discussion of ideas.

I like to call a spade a spade and it is indeed a foolish idea. If you want a sensible point for discussion try looking at the number of violent incidents and suicides in prisons last year.

14 minutes ago, Halibut said:

I like to call a spade a spade and it is indeed a foolish idea. If you want a sensible point for discussion try looking at the number of violent incidents and suicides in prisons last year.

I don't agree all prisons should be like that. I also don't think they should be hotbeds of violence, drug use and self harm. The Russian colonies are very extreme, I agree, and go too far in the hard labour environment. But is it 'foolish' to want a tough environment for rapists etc? It's an opinion.

What is your vision for correction?

7 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

Is crime up or down in Sheffield?

Given that crime isn't always reported by the public and that reported crime isn't always recorded by the police......

how long is that  piece of string?

Edited by steve68

17 minutes ago, Halibut said:

I would think that the general law-abiding public would be more concerned with the number of violent incidents and suicides out prison.