Who remembers their father using a hobbing foot to repair their shoes?

Finding an old hobbing foot in a relatives attic makes me wonder who remembers their father repairing the family shoes using one obviously not able to afford the cobblers!

We had one, although i think we only ever used it for ensuring that our "segs" were safely knocked in place.

All working class houses had one. Also that curved leather knife.

Used to sole and heel shoes, knock in studs, segs, heel plates, toe plates and the old football studs!

You could buy leather by the sheet, then Woolworths came up with proper sized stick on rubber soles and heels!

5 minutes ago, Dozer said:

You've hardly changed at all!

Well, Mrs hillsbro says I do sometimes act like a two year-old...  :P

I well remember Dad mending our shoes back in the fifties. I also still have a hobbing foot  to use as a doorstopper.

Yes do remember the hobbing foot, my Dad used to mend shoes on it put new leather or rubber soles came up like new. stiil got one in our garage.

I remember my dad hving one of these. When he had a hole in his shoes, he used to ask my mum to fetch a piece of leather from the rag and tag, the sit like a little pixie on the floor mending said shoes.

Hobbing Foot:  I've still got one and still use it to repair my wife's shoes and my own.

Got a bit fed up taking my boots to place like Timpsons to have the soles replaced at a cost more than the boots were to buy,

having the soles replaced and the boots heeled was looking at a £27 price tag.

Ordered the soles and heels off Amazon did the job myself at a cost of about £11.

Don't think it takes that much skill in using the hobbing foot.....all it is, is an extra pair of hands to hold the shoe in position

whilst its being repaired.