Quaifying for a bus pass.

18 hours ago, apelike said:

I have always found it a bit strange that the scheme is being used to subsidise the bus companies who also make big profits, after all the buses/trams/trains trundle along whether full or empty anyway.

I live 11-12 mile from City Centre/Pond Street...if i go into the City i always take the bus,we get one every hour,and sometimes there are very few on board..the trip used to take around 50 minutes as the route took in Sheffield Business centre, into Attercliffe, on to Pond Street where no one ever apppeared to get on or off,it amazed me how anyone could make it pay..BUT... the owners of the Stagecoach group branched out into Europe and the USA and are worth over 1 BILLION pounds each so, it must pay somehow

1 hour ago, Janus said:

I think it is fair to say that there is a bigger picture.

It is not nice seeing elderly people in care homes.

Making their life easier and more pleasurable with the travel pass is a good thing.

I would much rather see them on trains, trams and busses than in care homes. "Use it or lose it" is a good saying, and sitting at home with little or no company is not good. Most people feel better after a few hours outdoors. 

As an aside, the cost of  local authority funded  care homes costs thousands per  year per individual. Do the maths.

The consessionary travel pass is a wonderfull thing.

What a very nice thing to say ..i applaud you...:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Janus said:

I think it is fair to say that there is a bigger picture.

It also encourages those with failing eyesight and reaction times to give up driving.

This seems like a mega whammy for my age group.

First they raise the school leaving age (yeah I was in that year group) and they were totally unprepared for it, hence we spent a year going to school and learning/doing  nothing.

Then later they raised the retiring age (yeah I'm in that year group too!)

Now they are trying (and probably going to succeed) in removing any other small benefits of working for a living.

Little wonder people try to "work the system", afterall the "system's" goalpoasts seem to change every time it may be of benefit to it's users.