Quaifying for a bus pass.

11 hours ago, phil752 said:

depends on date of birth just check the website out, if i think you were born at an age, when a fem was retired at sixty you got it also like prescription#nd

Correct, but if you live in Scotland, N Ireland, Wales or London you get one at 60!,

8 hours ago, pintor said:

Correct, but if you live in Scotland, N Ireland, Wales or London you get one at 60!,

Not so simple.

Scotland, N Ireland and Wales all have their own schemes for their residents in their areas.

In England everybody is entitled to an ENCTS pass at qualifying age to be used in England  only.

Many areas have added local benefits only available locally. For example London adds free travel for their residents children and the over 60s on TfL. Merseyside for over 60s and local trains, Nottingham, Blackpool etc have free trams for their locals.

South Yorkshire dropped most of their 'perks' but we do benefit as we still "set" some local train fares and still subsidise late, early, Sunday and rural services.

PS

Derbyshire is about to be forced to end most of its Sheffield to Peak District services.

I wouldn't bother.

Councils can't afford to  keep giving these freeloaders in free day trips out, so they will be abolished soon.

16 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

PS

Derbyshire is about to be forced to end most of its Sheffield to Peak District services.

I see revisions to services quoted on the Derbyshire CC  travel pages, from 29/03/19, and there is only one service being withdrawn - in Derbyshire.

Route 218 (Bakewell - Sheffield) is being re-routed in Sheffield, and rescheduled, but there is currently no revised timetable available.

2 hours ago, davyboy said:

I wouldn't bother.

Councils can't afford to  keep giving these freeloaders in free day trips out, so they will be abolished soon.

I believe the councils get the money from the government who fund the scheme and therefor it does not come direct from the council.

5 hours ago, RollingJ said:

I see revisions to services quoted on the Derbyshire CC  travel pages, from 29/03/19, and there is only one service being withdrawn - in Derbyshire.

Route 218 (Bakewell - Sheffield) is being re-routed in Sheffield, and rescheduled, but there is currently no revised timetable available.

You are correct regarding this revision.

I am referring to the warnings about the termination of subsidised contracts by DCC, which are mainly rural services. The contracts are set over 12 months on routes set by DCC and are not simple timetable revisions. It is expected to become clearer when the transport budget is published.

Thanks for that. As I live in Sheffield and only use the service 218, I hadn't looked at other services, but I seem to recall seeing something about them earlier this year.

7 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Details of the new route here - it's going to go via Psalter Lane, Ecclesall Road South and Abbey Lane. Updated timetables are on this page

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

Half of bus routes could be scrapped because of underfunded free pass scheme! Maybe free bus passes have a downside?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/02/08/half-bus-routes-could-scrapped-underfunded-free-pass-scheme/

I have always found it a bit strange that the scheme is being used to subsidise the bus companies who also make big profits, after all the buses/trams/trains trundle along whether full or empty anyway.

@altus

altus - thanks for the further information - saved me looking later.☺️

Edited by RollingJ
attempt to get cursor moving -failed

On 10/02/2019 at 10:24, davyboy said:

I wouldn't bother.

I think it is fair to say that there is a bigger picture.

It is not nice seeing elderly people in care homes.

Making their life easier and more pleasurable with the travel pass is a good thing.

I would much rather see them on trains, trams and busses than in care homes. "Use it or lose it" is a good saying, and sitting at home with little or no company is not good. Most people feel better after a few hours outdoors. 

As an aside, the cost of  local authority funded  care homes costs thousands per  year per individual. Do the maths.

The consessionary travel pass is a wonderfull thing.