Cutlery Factory on Harvey Clough Road

Hi

I grew up on Harvey Clough road and have memories of their being what I believe was a cutlery factory about half way down the lower part of Harvey Clough, I Believe it was flattened and houses built on it in the early nineties, I was wondering does anyone have any information about this factory or point in the direction of somewhere that may? 

Thank You

I grew up on Mountview road and can remember the factory. I don't think it was cutlery that was made there, it was nail files. I'll make some more inquiries on the matter.

If you Google J B Rawlins and Sons you'll find some info and a photo of the factory.

According to my 1900 White's directory, Rawlins were dressing case instrument manufacturers.

I always thought it was a cutlery works. I might have my wires crossed but I think George Slattery, father of swimmer Jill, had some connection with it. The family lived across the road.

Edit. Seems I did have my wires crossed. George had his own cutlery firm but it was elsewhere.

Edited by Jim Hardie

It was down a very steep drive and was owned by the sons, this was 1970 and I bought the moggie minor off the elder son. It was spotless apart from 6" dent in the front, matching the stair newel post at the bottom of the drive. The factory was a real Victorian place they were making cutlery set boxes and very nice they were.

What a coincidence! I’m the grandson of George Slattery, I was just googling his name to see if anything came up about him as I was thinking about him and saw this. I’m very happy to see something about him, my dad has just told me his factory was on Daisy Walk in the yard of a rag shop and then moved to Hillsborough Barracks. Mr Murfin  was the nail file owner he says. Thanks for posting about George and hope this helps you. 

Ps. He says Bill Murfin was his name as far as he can remember. 

Edited by Longhorn

On 04/03/2019 at 16:55, Longhorn said:

What a coincidence! I’m the grandson of George Slattery, I was just googling his name to see if anything came up about him as I was thinking about him and saw this. I’m very happy to see something about him, my dad has just told me his factory was on Daisy Walk in the yard of a rag shop and then moved to Hillsborough Barracks. Mr Murfin  was the nail file owner he says. Thanks for posting about George and hope this helps you. 

Ps. He says Bill Murfin was his name as far as he can remember. 

I was a very good friend of both Trevor and Jeff Slattery in the 1960's, I presume one is your father. In 1970 I got married and shortly after we went overseas and lost contact.  Since retiring and returning to the UK in 2014 I have been trying to locate them, but so far have failed.

There were a few of us, close friends at the time who hung about together and would regularly go camping and hiking at weekends, Trevor was the real outwards bound adventurous one.

I would love to make contact with them again if you could pass this message on and maybe contact me privately. We have a lot of catching up and reminiscing to do.

8 hours ago, Stuart47 said:

I was a very good friend of both Trevor and Jeff Slattery in the 1960's, I presume one is your father. In 1970 I got married and shortly after we went overseas and lost contact.  Since retiring and returning to the UK in 2014 I have been trying to locate them, but so far have failed.

There were a few of us, close friends at the time who hung about together and would regularly go camping and hiking at weekends, Trevor was the real outwards bound adventurous one.

I would love to make contact with them again if you could pass this message on and maybe contact me privately. We have a lot of catching up and reminiscing to do.

You could put this post on Facebook, on the only in Norton Lees site.

On 07/02/2019 at 13:37, Gunstar_Hero said:

Hi

I grew up on Harvey Clough road and have memories of their being what I believe was a cutlery factory about half way down the lower part of Harvey Clough, I Believe it was flattened and houses built on it in the early nineties, I was wondering does anyone have any information about this factory or point in the direction of somewhere that may? 

Thank You

This is not Dave Gunn is it, have a sister called Anne as I recall?

Just sat with my 97 year old mum and she was telling me about living on Harvey Clough rd  in 1947. She, Marjorie and my dad  Eric Clayton lived with her grandparents and had a baby Susan Clayton.  My great grandad Jim Warrington worked at the factory and she seems to think he was part of the family business. Mum’s Auntie Edith Annie and her husband Herbert ( maybe Warrington) lived in the factory house. She says they made nail files and she thinks some kind of saws. Great grandma was called Selina Warrington nee Odale or Oldale.

Mum’s own family, grandfather Tom Drew and father Harold Drew owned a cutlery factory on Daisy Walk her brother Walter Drew worked there too, and they invented a knife edge called Drewvex.