Mayors transport strategy

3 hours ago, sheffbag said:

Nope - i would have hoped Sheffield would have taken the same view as the rest of Yorkshire and gone to the government as a full county instead of trying to stand alone.

Not sure where you get the 30 years from 

I see you ignored every other point i raised but again i will say that the money is there. The govt has said so, it does not need a body like SCR to spend it. All the time SCR is accruing costs

Or alternatively, The mayor is on 80K a year effectively doing nothing with a staff of around 20 just for him earning a median of £40K (source SCR budget, even if they were on 20K thats £500K a year on staff costs) whilst spending £100K+  doing up offices while contributing......... what exactly.

nice plan for them

didnt we try this with the Northern Way 15 years ago?

The only train Dan Jarvis is interested in is the gravy train. How nice that he's found another way to create one. 

Guest makapaka
7 hours ago, TeatOwl95 said:

We need a suburban rail  network like Manchester. 

I think there is potential for the tram train scheme to utilise  the lines from Carbrook to Darnall via Attercliffe and then through Victoria to Neepsend, Wadsley bridge and all the way to Stocksbridge. The other way it can run through Woodhouse, Beighton, Killamarsh...

I personally would never have to drive again if that came to fruition. All lines and stations which used to exist.

Great idea. 

Theres money to do it - the government wouldn’t think twice about spending it on a new tube stop in London.

13 hours ago, sheffbag said:

Not sure where you get the 30 years from 

My rough guess as to how long it will take for the government to give up waiting for us to sit in a grump, because the devolution deal isn't *exactly* to everyone's liking (nothing ever will be), let the whole thing go, and then have another go when most people have forgotten about the previous attempt.

30? Who knows, maybe more like 50.

This kind of regional infrastructure needs a regional authority to drive it through. Give 30million to Sheffield, and 30million to Rotherham, and 30million to Doncaster, and etc  and I guarantee that they won't build anything that joins up.

The government knows this, so they're not going to release the money until there's a regional body to give it to.

Then why wont Sheffield sign up to a Yorkshire one, go to the government as the biggest mayoral area in the country and obtain more money and power than on offer at present.

So weve gone away from SCR being good and not a white elephant to "well we need something so why not this"

Again i come back to 

A lot of money is being spent each year (500K on staff alone) on a mayor with no power or budget who is publishing documents outlining plans that cannot be achieved because

a) He has no budget

b) He has no power to drive it through

c) Its not costed

d) It will be judged and "funded" (what with) on a "project by project basis

e) Previous projects have vastly over-run and over-spent (tram train, which is aspired to be extended)

You are right in that if the Govt gave £30M to all the separate councils then nothing joined up would be built but loko at it from a viewpoint of the other councils. What will extending the tram train network or renewing Supertram do for the people of Skellow, Kendray, Greasborough or Cudworth?  Why would you sign up to a deal which woudl give most of the money to Sheffield? 

I stand by my view that SCR is massive white elephant as is the mayoral role. for example, whos the mayor with the most clout in Doncaster, The council mayor, the democratically elected mayor or Dan Jarvis? I respect your opinion but you have offered nothing to support a counter position to the comments offered arguing against this.

offered nothing?

a bit harsh.

2 minutes ago, ads36 said:

offered nothing?

a bit harsh.

Yeah, reading back that could seem a little harsh, apologies.

But your posts have only really said that SCR "could" be a good thing or that "we need something to oversee it" and ignored all the points i have put across supporting my reasons behind my thinking. 

But yeah "offered nothing" was the wrong wording - sorry about that. 

Just how anyone can claim the money is there when there is no indication of costs to start with (which will then of course increase once the project starts) is beyond me .

There is an assumption that the tram will continue but i thought this was out for consultation so has the decision been made?

Just where would the rail link to Doncaster airport run to and from and what would the cost be and how many passengers would use it I can  not see it betting through Treasure cost benefit analysis myself and just how will he secure better rail connections to other major airports

I live on the Wadsley park estate and it takes 8 minutes to walk to the tram although  these days I need to allow 10 minutes as trams are allowed to leave 2 minutes early (and do) then 20 minutes into town so just how will it be possible for me to do this in 15 minutes

The money is there was used to say that the government has indicated that there is funding available "if" they could sort out the devolution deal (which they cant)

You are right though, the document is just a list of uncosted aspirations that would rocket way beyond any funding the govt has earmarked for devolution as a whole. 

At least he can say he's done something for his money now

There is some money I agree but not nearly enough to turn this from a pipe dream into reality

More pointless than aspirational. SCR should focus on regional issues.

New services on existing lines like:

Sheffield to London via Retford with a P&R near Beighton.

Sheffield Nottingham via Worksop 

Barnsley/Rotherham/Sheffield to Chesterfield via Beighton.

Do something about:

The loss of Peterborough/East Anglia services.

Get involved in EMT franchises for Manchester/Liverpool and London.

Question the delay over Hope Valley capacity scheme.

Creating a transport hub at Swinton for national connections and P&R and TT extension from Parkgate.

Protecting current freight and former trackbeds for future use.

Bring Barnsley back.

DSA airport is on the line between Doncaster and Gainsborough at Finningley. Currently no station on this hourly service.

The Coach/Bus services are underused and have been cutback.

If DSA usage increased massively, a dedicated coach connection with infrastructure would be a far more effective solution.

Another plan is to build a loop through the airport to Bawtry and then on to Retford.

This plan, together with other new stations and more frequent stopping services will becomes possible after HS2 releases/replaces the Leeds paths.

Edited by Annie Bynnol