Mayors transport strategy

We need a suburban rail  network like Manchester. 

I think there is potential for the tram train scheme to utilise  the lines from Carbrook to Darnall via Attercliffe and then through Victoria to Neepsend, Wadsley bridge and all the way to Stocksbridge. The other way it can run through Woodhouse, Beighton, Killamarsh...

I personally would never have to drive again if that came to fruition. All lines and stations which used to exist.

hmmmm, so how does he intend to fund and deliver this? 

Has he even got his own budget sorted out yet from the govt?

Edited by sheffbag

You can't help but like this guy.

He performs well and has sensible suggestions.

53 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

You could argue that standard political procedure is to make the bold announcements first and worry about funding them later.

Has he even got his own budget sorted out yet from the govt?

if we can get the council leaders of Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham (and ?) to sign a piece of paper that has the word 'Sheffield' on it, The Government will give him/them something like £150million.

He can't make them sign up, it really does seem like they're cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Edited by ads36

42 minutes ago, ads36 said:

if we can get the council leaders of Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham (and ?) to sign a piece of paper that has the word 'Sheffield' on it, The Government will give him/them something like £150million.

He can't make them sign up, it really does seem like they're cutting off their nose to spite their face.

So he still has no real power and no budget? How much has he been paid so far then? 

I have no real problem with Jarvis as a man but his plans are unrealistic and SCR is a massive white elephant. 

So he still has no real power and no budget?

more or less correct. i suppose it was hoped that the towns and cities of the region would find it easier to get behind a person, than a faceless concept (it needs someone to bring it together, we need the mayor, before we can have the money+devolved power)

his plans are unrealistic

his plans are roughly in scale - with the money that's waiting for us.

SCR is a massive white elephant. 

a white elephant is something that looks initially attractive but it's a great pain and expense to look after.

The SCR is potentially a source of money, and local power, it's the exact opposite of a white elephant.

Edited by ads36

39 minutes ago, ads36 said:

The SCR is potentially a source of money, and local power

Until anything actually comes from that potential its a white elephant.

Lots of money and resource has been used to create this strategies which arent really worth anything without the funding. 

1 hour ago, ads36 said:

more or less correct. i suppose it was hoped that the towns and cities of the region would find it easier to get behind a person, than a faceless concept (it needs someone to bring it together, we need the mayor, before we can have the money+devolved power)

his plans are roughly in scale - with the money that's waiting for us.

a white elephant is something that looks initially attractive but it's a great pain and expense to look after.

The SCR is potentially a source of money, and local power, it's the exact opposite of a white elephant.

The govt could give the money and the power without a mayor. It refuses to accept a Yorkshire wide position and instead chooses to support one where the other councils will miss out. If it wanted to give the money then it could give the money to the authorities under spending restrictions. If its there to be given then give it

His plans aren't costed up so how can they be roughly in scale given :

"Detailed options for the delivery and funding of individual projects will be brought forward and considered on a case-by-case basis." Considering he doesn't have any money yet then all plans will be rejected.

(bus section) - "Review bus services in South Yorkshire" and then "Implement findings of the bus review." Consider the cost of the review plus any potential findings (i.e cuts) to be implemented then any costings are very hazy

(tram train) - "Extend tram/tram-train coverage across the Sheffield City Region." - The costs for doing a tiny section from Meadowhall to Rotherham was 5 times the project budget or, in real terms £60 Million over budget. Given that the aspiration is to extend coverage across the SCR and the cost of the Rotherham one then the whole £150M you suggest is available will be taken up by Tram Train alone

SCR is a white elephant like having a mayor for Sheffield. the concept is potentially attractive but the reality is that

The mayor has no power unlike other mayors.

The mayor cannot get a budget until he can persuade other authorities to sign up to a deal which is potentially worse for them.

The money on offer could be given to other agencies as pointed out above without having the massive costs that SCR have just to run it (for example, the mayor occupies 2 full floors of the building that he is based in with a massive staff in comparison to the work that he does, SCR have one full floor as well). 

Im not denying that SCR does do some good work with regard to business investment, my argument is that other agencies could do the work just as well within existing positions or systems without SCR or a mayor. 

If it is "potentially a source of money and power" then it is exactly a white elephant. It ceases to be one once it starts producing quantifiable success

Edited by sheffbag

here's the thing : there may be other versions of regional devolution, but the SCR model is the one that's on the table.

but you want to wait for 30 years while the government wait for us to make a decision, then quietly forget about it, then suggest something else more to your liking?

nice plan.

Edited by ads36

Nope - i would have hoped Sheffield would have taken the same view as the rest of Yorkshire and gone to the government as a full county instead of trying to stand alone.

Not sure where you get the 30 years from 

I see you ignored every other point i raised but again i will say that the money is there. The govt has said so, it does not need a body like SCR to spend it. All the time SCR is accruing costs

Or alternatively, The mayor is on 80K a year effectively doing nothing with a staff of around 20 just for him earning a median of £40K (source SCR budget, even if they were on 20K thats £500K a year on staff costs) whilst spending £100K+  doing up offices while contributing......... what exactly.

nice plan for them

didnt we try this with the Northern Way 15 years ago?

Edited by sheffbag