Sheffield Old Town Hall petition.

2 hours ago, iansheff said:

Apparently it has just been sold to a new developer. Have to see what they plan to do!

I've signed the petition but won't be holding my breath while Sheffield City Council debate the situation and then do sweet f. a.

7 hours ago, drolnhoj said:

Apparently it has just been sold to a new developer. Have to see what they plan to do!

Probably the same as all its previous owners. Sit tight and hope it rots sufficiently for a demolition order on safety grounds.

Been said it’s going to be turned in to flats 

12 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Probably the same as all its previous owners. Sit tight and hope it rots sufficiently for a demolition order on safety grounds.

The Hague family are involved you say??

Whats the point with all this debate. This save the town hall group want the current status quo. A building that has been left to ruin. They have no alternatives with what to do with it so why not let it be developed.

48 minutes ago, woodmally said:

Whats the point with all this debate. This save the town hall group want the current status quo. A building that has been left to ruin. They have no alternatives with what to do with it so why not let it be developed.

That's not true at all. They have a plan with what to do with the building. They don't have any money to do it, but they have a plan.

That being said,  I welcome any development that saves the building and brings it back into use. 

Guest makapaka
21 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

I've signed the petition but won't be holding my breath while Sheffield City Council debate the situation and then do sweet f. a.

What would you have the council do?

17 hours ago, Robin-H said:

That's not true at all. They have a plan with what to do with the building. They don't have any money to do it, but they have a plan.

Do they even own the building though?

14 hours ago, makapaka said:

What would you have the council do?

Show some initiative or resign and let another bunch have a go.

Neither of which will happen.

Edited by Jim Hardie

1 hour ago, geared said:

Do they even own the building though?

No they don’t.

I believe the idea floated was that the Council would compulsory purchase the building from the owner who has just left it to rot, and the Friends of the Old Town Hall group would raise the money to restore the building and operate it, paying a peppercorn rent to the Council. 

How nice of the council, first to use their legal power to purchase the building and second to rent it out for nothing.