More jobs to go, Brighthouse to close 30 stores

Agree with others sad for job losses but dislike their business model.

30 minutes ago, willman said:

Or in a position where you have nowhere else to turn.

there is nothing that you HAVE to get from Brighthouse.  If you cant afford it then get second hand. There business model was an extreme version of the old Grattons/Kays catalogue but there are plenty other places to turn to before shops like brighthouse. £312 for a Henry hoover?????

20 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

My generation bought second hand when we were starting out. If you couldn't afford, you went without and you saved until you could buy.

I still do - but i have used the equivalent of Brighthouse some decades ago, and i see many people still using them now.  Someones desire for immediate gratification with the latest tech or furniture however doesn't diminish their mental faculties. PLUS whilst ever you're paying for something at Brighthouse its guaranteed not just the usual 1year etc.(not that that makes it worthwhile,just a consideration for the buyer).

1 minute ago, sheffbag said:

there is nothing that you HAVE to get from Brighthouse.  If you cant afford it then get second hand. There business model was an extreme version of the old Grattons/Kays catalogue but there are plenty other places to turn to before shops like brighthouse. £312 for a Henry hoover?????

There's nothing that you HAVE to get from anywhere.  Some people have little or no choice elsewhere, Thats why they borrow from the likes of Provident and not banks and Brighthouse and not John Lewis credit accounts.

1 hour ago, Jim Hardie said:

My generation bought second hand when we were starting out. If you couldn't afford, you went without and you saved until you could buy.

Still do.

4 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Another capitalist exploiter bites the dust.

The Brexit effect is really starting to hurt those who hurt the poorest! Hurrah!

No one is forced to buy from them. Their interest rates are clearly shown before you purchase something  . 

2 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Same here mate . Problem is some people these days want things they cant afford 

Edited by Penistone999

I think attitude to credit is something that comes from your parents. My mum and dad started married life in one rented room and they didn't even have me until they could afford me, lol. For them the 'never never' was a 'no no' and it's rubbed off.

Like most people, I've had a mortgage and I've borrowed money to buy a car but the credit card is paid off in full every month and always has been. Paying silly% for anything is crackers.

17 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Never like the thought of people losing their jobs but the sooner this odious outfit hits the buffers the better.

That sums it up nicely.

20 hours ago, willman said:

Obviously it'll please the ones who have always moaned about the likes of Brighthouse, but no so good for the staff or the people who need the facilities they offer. The next thing for the charities to source will be wide screen tv's to pick up with your food parcels.

why do people go on about 'widescreen tvs' as being the height of luxury? all TVs have been widescreen for over a decade....

17 hours ago, willman said:

Or in a position where you have nowhere else to turn.

I can see that for something essential like a washing machine or cooker.  But they sell luxury entertainment items.

Can you give any situation where someone on a low income would need a 75" 4K telly? £1300 in Currys.  £3432 in Brighthouse.

https://www.brighthouse.co.uk/home-entertainment/televisions/samsung-75-inch-uhd-tv-sam75nu71

17 hours ago, willman said:

I still do - but i have used the equivalent of Brighthouse some decades ago, and i see many people still using them now.  Someones desire for immediate gratification with the latest tech or furniture however doesn't diminish their mental faculties. PLUS whilst ever you're paying for something at Brighthouse its guaranteed not just the usual 1year etc.(not that that makes it worthwhile,just a consideration for the buyer).

There's nothing that you HAVE to get from anywhere.  Some people have little or no choice elsewhere, Thats why they borrow from the likes of Provident and not banks and Brighthouse and not John Lewis credit accounts.

Henry Hoover

Looking at this as an example, you have to pay extra for product insurance do you not

Sorry but disagree with your last. if people are in the situation where they feel Bright house is there only option then they need to re-examine what they consider needs. Why would you go for a massive TV if you cant afford it. Go elsewhere or buy second hand or buy something smaller.  

I feel sorry for the staff but Brighthouse are like a retail version of wonga, preying on those with the least to spend but encouraging them to get into debt further.

27 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Henry Hoover

Looking at this as an example, you have to pay extra for product insurance do you not

Sorry but disagree with your last. if people are in the situation where they feel Bright house is there only option then they need to re-examine what they consider needs. Why would you go for a massive TV if you cant afford it. Go elsewhere or buy second hand or buy something smaller.  

I feel sorry for the staff but Brighthouse are like a retail version of wonga, preying on those with the least to spend but encouraging them to get into debt further.

Let's face it. You have to be thick to take a deal like that. It seems only the first line of the pricing is read and to hell with the bottom line.

Has anyone seen the programmes where Steph McGovern and Alex Jones  help people with their finances and save money, "Shop well for less"  One woman bought 2 pairs of shoes and she didn't know how much she had spent, was over £500, £265 a pair. I can't believe that someone would shop and not know the price of what they bought, all she knew was that they were under £300.  As Jim says if you couldn't afford it you didn't buy it you saved for it,  today some people just seem to  buy it because they must have things like the latest tech gadgets.

Edited by iansheff