Safe areas for a single mum

Hi all! I'm moving to Sheffield in the next few months and will be looking at buying a two bedroom flat or house. My budget is £80,000. Can I afford anything in a safer area or should I rethink the whole move and maybe look elsewhere? Single mum of a 7 year old.  Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by Mirela B

There arent really any unsafe areas, just scruffier areas! 

80k will just about get you a 2 bed flat in a not so scruffy area. A 2 bed house for 80k is likely to be in a scruffy area

£80000 will get you a decent 3bed round s5 area which is an ok area regardless what you hear about it 

Generally the city is pretty safe and alot better than other large cities in the country.

Right now there's this two bed flat up for £75,00 in the centre of town or a bit further out you could have a 3-bed semi for £80,000

What sort of area of Sheffield could the OP purchase a 2 bed terrace property with 80k?

A fair number in S5, quick check on Rightmove shows 25 in that postcode alone.

Edited by geared

no one specifically answered 😞
what post cod is in your opinion worthy to consider buying a flat. where do you live well?

someone wrote s5 but I heard that it is one of the worse districts?

what categorically to avoid? I heard that darnall is a dangerous place? true?

I have a friend who lives in Darnall and he thinks it's nice enough.

I call over once a week and we go wandering about the place for an hour with no issues.

20 hours ago, tomastom said:

what post cod is in your opinion worthy to consider buying a flat. where do you live well?

Most of the people in s5 are hard working honest people ,it’s the minority that give s5 a bad name and s5 is a big estate 

Thank you all for your answers, I did check flat prices on righmove and yes, seems like S5 is a good option. Hopefully safe enough too. 

On 07/02/2019 at 12:18, tomastom said:

S5 is a big district, I have lived in shirecliffe S5 for 13 years, never been burgled or had any of my cars/ vans broken into and I have left the window open on my van overnight on a couple of occasions and nothing has been touched.

there are parts of S5 that are rough but it depends which part you choose.

if you see anywhere just post up the part of S5 and someone will tell ya if it’s rough or not.