Safe areas for a single mum

This might be a useful tool;

http://dclgapps.communities.gov.uk/imd/idmap.html

Zoom in towards the area you're interested in and change the option from "IMD" to "Crime domain".  The areas with the deepest red have the worst level of recorded crime.

shirecliffe.jpg

There's also this

https://www.police.uk/south-yorkshire/KD/crime/violent-crime/+f1MODz/

You can draw a box around the area you're interested in and then see the numbers of crime, by type, by month.

And this is an interesting tool for comparing two areas (although it works by postcode, it includes an area 1 mile by radius from the postcode, so it's quite broad).

https://www.crime-statistics.co.uk/compare/postcodes/S25 4AP+S5 8XA

I put in a random Shirecliffe postcode I found, and a postcode for the village my parents live in (20 miles from Sheffield).

On 06/02/2019 at 18:55, Janus said:

What sort of area of Sheffield could the OP purchase a 2 bed terrace property with 80k?

With a terrace you would have more in maintenance to do yourself than a flat. A flat usually has an ongoing maintenance fee for communal areas, windows, exterior paining etc so its worth weighing up the pros and cons of both options.  

As a mum of a 7-year old I would have thought if there is any chance of getting somewhere with a garden then that is a key thing to consider if you can manage it. It makes a massive difference for kids to have some safe outdoor space to run round in, to make a mess, to feel the sun and the rain and snow.  A small flat with outside space in a nice area could be better than a house or bigger flat somewhere worse. This is the calculation people make when money is tight, like in London where housing is ludicrously expensive for almost everyone.

Ground floor flats sometimes have gardens in their favour, as well as ease of access for bikes, pushchairs, wheelchairs etc and  fire escape, though there are security issues to consider. Obviously good schools; having enough rooms and space; general safety/niceness of the area are the basics. 

1 hour ago, Chez2 said:

With a terrace you would have more in maintenance to do yourself than a flat. A flat usually has an ongoing maintenance fee for communal areas, windows, exterior paining etc so its worth weighing up the pros and cons of both options.  

There lies the potential problem. There is a block of 6 near me. Each occupier is charged about £1400 every year to cover the maintenance-rising annually of course.

The roof has been repaired, gutters replaced, exterior coating on walls repainted. Thing is, the 1400 is a base level. When a big job like the roof needs doing the shortfall is added to the 1400.

It's ok for someone who doesn't want the responsibly and the shopping around for individual job quotes .

The people that manage this system don't do so for free. 

Some may prefer it, but I would advise anyone considering it to be well aware of hidden/potential large & unexpected bills.

2 hours ago, Janus said:

There lies the potential problem. There is a block of 6 near me. Each occupier is charged about £1400 every year to cover the maintenance-rising annually of course.

The roof has been repaired, gutters replaced, exterior coating on walls repainted. Thing is, the 1400 is a base level. When a big job like the roof needs doing the shortfall is added to the 1400.

It's ok for someone who doesn't want the responsibly and the shopping around for individual job quotes .

The people that manage this system don't do so for free. 

Some may prefer it, but I would advise anyone considering it to be well aware of hidden/potential large & unexpected bills.

Thats why I said weigh up the pros and cons. Not all are that expensive. If you can't do DIY your house can soon fall in to disrepair or you can get taken advantage with quotes etc. Flats are usually cheaper than houses so there is a balance to be struck.  

On 06/02/2019 at 08:40, Mirela B said:

Hi all! I'm moving to Sheffield in the next few months and will be looking at buying a two bedroom flat or house. My budget is £80,000. Can I afford anything in a safer area or should I rethink the whole move and maybe look elsewhere? Single mum of a 7 year old.  Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Single Mother with 80K ?

What do you do for a living?

1 hour ago, FinBak said:

Single Mother with 80K ?

You know that people take out mortgages to buy property right?

1 hour ago, FinBak said:

Single Mother with 80K ?

I am sure she means that is her loan qualifying limit. Quite a rude question, in my opinion

Edited by Ontarian1981

I've just been thinking about a scenario involving a block of flats that is part owned by Sheffield council & part owned by those who exercised "right to buy". This is a block on St Lawrence Rd S9 area. 

Last year, on behalf of my elderly friend who owns such a flat,  I informed Sheffield council   that a large hole had appeared in the gutter just above his bedroom window.

The council replaced the gutter for the total length of the block. My friend never mentioned anything about getting a bill. I assume he pays a yearly charge to Sheffield council for things like this.  

I will ask him what the service charge is  the next time I see him. I would imagine it will be a lot less than a block that is totally private owned. 

The OP could rent one of these for a little while, and if satisfied with the area could make a purchase.

Within stalking distance of Meadowhall, and less thanow 10 minutes walk of a main bus route in to town from Attercliffe.

Edited by Janus

I'll actually be mortgage free. I'm selling my own house abroad and moving back to the UK. So yes, single mother with an £80,000 budget. Cannot qualify for a mortgage as I've been away for two years.