Going to a gym

Want to join a gym where there is no membership and also that is not full of fit women who look at you because you are not fit,

I am a 55 plus female with no confidence in going to a gym

Can anybody recommend anywhere

9 minutes ago, Ducky1 said:

Want to join a gym where there is no membership

What is the difference between joining a gym with no membership and just exercising on your own? 🤔

One thing I would recommend that you think about is the distance to your gym from your home. 

When I worked out at the gym, motivating myself to go there was easier because I lived close by. 

Don't worry about what other people think. A friend of mine who I trained with was very overweight and felt very self conscious. When he found that people were more focused on what they were doing he began to feel more comfortable.

Just find somewhere you feel comfortable. Ask at the gym reception if you can have a look around. Best to time this when you'd normally go to the gym, so you can see how busy it gets.

All the best.

If you're anywhere near S20 I'd definitely recommend http://www.evolutiongym.co.uk/

£8 for a weeks membership. Small but perfectly formed good honest local gym. Very helpful owners, very well ran & made this particular big-boned feller very welcome last week. Will definitely be paying another £8 when I have another week where I can make it down a few times.

On 05/02/2019 at 22:01, Mister M said:

One thing I would recommend that you think about is the distance to your gym from your home. 

When I worked out at the gym, motivating myself to go there was easier because I lived close by. 

Don't worry about what other people think. A friend of mine who I trained with was very overweight and felt very self conscious. When he found that people were more focused on what they were doing he began to feel more comfortable.

Just find somewhere you feel comfortable. Ask at the gym reception if you can have a look around. Best to time this when you'd normally go to the gym, so you can see how busy it gets.

All the best.

Good advice about proximity and accessibility.  Found that out to my cost

You will find a lot of gyms now offer month rolling contracts but as said above it is better to start with the ones closest to you and see what benefits they offer you - I often go swimming so I always make sure I join a gym with the pool included. 

You will find people in gyms tend not to really care less what you're doing unless you're in their way and they may ask to use some equipment after you or during your rest periods (Should you have any) but to be honest they're there for their own work out, who you are and what you're doing/look like while you're doing it tends not to be their concern - or so I've found out anyway 

On 05/02/2019 at 22:01, Mister M said:

All the best.

Good points being close to where you live or work is critical.

Going to the gym should not be a big event just finding an hour or so a few days a week getting your kit on and going.

Also in many years of going can honestly say I have never noticed people staring at out of shape people, most people respect they are trying to improve.

A couple of laps around Rother Valley 20 press ups on the bridge and 20 pull ups on the nearest tree branch. Who needs a flippin gym.  Oh! and FREE fresh air.  :thumbsup:

Can recommend the gym at the Zest Centre at Upperthorpe. Its not full of posey people and its great. There is a mixed gym and a ladies only gym. In fact there is so much to do at Zest generally. No reason for anyone to be lonely!!! Check the website!!!!

On 05/02/2019 at 21:44, Top Cats Hat said:

What is the difference between joining a gym with no membership and just exercising on your own? 🤔

I guess the difference is the full set of equipment available...  It sounds like the request is for PAYG access rather than a flat annual or monthly fee.

I'd suggest that proximity is actually hugely important.  I've been members of quite a few gyms over the years, but my current gym is about 1km from home if that, and so it's extremely easy to make use of it.

I honestly wouldn't worry about the other members, nobody is actually interested in your wobbly bits, if they're fit then it's because they train hard, and if they aren't fit then they have wobbly bits of their own.

On 25/04/2019 at 16:44, PRESLEY said:

A couple of laps around Rother Valley 20 press ups on the bridge and 20 pull ups on the nearest tree branch. Who needs a flippin gym.  Oh! and FREE fresh air.  :thumbsup:

Then deadlift a 100kg branch, squat the same, and presumably a slightly smaller branch to bench press.

To name just the three most important compound lifts that you'd do instead of press ups (pull ups are very good).  But speaking of the pullups, many people can't do one, so they'll be looping a large rubber band thing over that tree branch as they build up, and they'll want a lat pull down machine as well to increase that strength until they can do a pull up.

i use exersize 4 less on kilner way. £15 a month. Loads of classes and a women only part of the gym.